Looking for a Router

I've heard good things about Linksys's BEFSR41. It's going for low money on eBay, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. I'm not looking for anything heavy-duty. Just something reliable, relatively cheap and will get two computers and other various internet-enabled devices on the internet (GC/XBX).

Edit: How are D-Links (DI-604?)

D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE! D-LINK'S ARE BAD, DO NOT BUY ONE!

With that said, Don't buy a d-link. I have a d-link router right now and I couldn't be more unhappy with it. Nothing but problems. A firewall which can never be put down and if you try to access the settings... well it won't let you. Get a linksys or something. I know linksys is good stuff.

I don't know what you're talkin about, I have a DI-604 and it's not that bad. Then again, i'm not looking to remove the firewall, and every 3 months or so, what'll happen is the thing will become unresponsive and not let me access the configurer. So i have to unplug the power for about 10 seconds and restart the router. It doesn't irk me that much.

I have that exact same problem (and the same solution) with my Netgear router, which is a POS. I wish I had bought a Linksys, they work much better it seems. I just got the Netgear because it looked cooler..big mistake. The reason it bothers me is because it seems to happen the most when I'm using mldonkey or bittorrent... so I'll be getting a good dl rate on a really big file, go to bed, and wake up the next morning to find the router stalled and only downloaded another couple megs after I went to sleep.

I've heard a lot of people speak poorly of dlink.

My router is linksys befsr41 version 2. One of my friends has the same one also and both of us are very happy with it and have never had a problem.

Get the Linksys (Cisco) BEFSR41 version 3. Its new, its cheap, and it works great. I'm staring at mine right now, with its little winking lights. Also, for this unit you don't necessarily need to go the ebay route. Many online/offline stores carry this thing for CHEAP, look around. I typically avoid retail like the plague, and I bought it at Best Buy for like 40 bucks new.

Oh! In case you buy an older one - the older (not ver.3) model of this also works great, BUT make sure you download the updated firmware BEFORE hooking it up. That way if it doesn't like something about your setup (my cable provider told me the stock firmware on a lot of them doesn't play well with some of the modems), you have the firmware on your computer and can flash it without having to change anything. Actually, you might want to flash it anyway, I know for example the newer firmware is "Xbox compatible" so it probably performs better. My friend has the older version, and this seemed to hold true for him.

My friend moved into his girlfriend's pool house and they asked me about good dial-up ISPs. The "big house" has cable internet, and I asked them "are you crazy? Dialup? Just get a wireless router"

They were short on money and I found them the cheapest router at the time. They got a Dlink wireless card and router (I think the 604) for less than 100 bux after rebates.

I set it up flawlessly and was very impressed by the speed considering the distance from the router. They can reach 1Mbps and are a good 200+ feet away in another house.

I called the next week to ask if it was performing alright. They said it works great! I told them to call me if they have questions.

I have yet to hear them complain about it and this has been over 3 months ago.

Hey, I have a D-link701 2-port router I can sell for $13 + shipping. I think it's great, I had no problems installing it. I guess the only bad thing is that you can't turn off the security features if you plan on playing certain online games, but I never had problems with that. PM me if you're interested.

While he IS on a budget, he needs minimum of 4 ports it looks like, or he'd need a small hub too. So might as well just get the BEFSR41. They actually can probably be had on ebay for a decent price, looking at some auctions going now. Just remember what I said about the firmware for the older versions.

Back