Looking for good free firewall

vbt

Staff member
My PC fried and had to buy new parts and install XP. XP looks to be open even with his firewall (lot of upload with no activity and trojan, virus ...), I never got such problems before... I'd like to have a good firewall working like Blackice, any hint ?

I tried a handful of firewalls pretty recently, and honestly it depends on what you want to do. Comodo worked alright, but it's bundled with antivirus now (It's still free, however, and you can deselect antivirus during install).

Personally, I ended up just using ESS (Eset Smart Security) with the included firewall component.

Get a router? That's the best firewall - unless you port forward, nothing should be able to access your PC.

If you're getting trojans, I would question what websites you are using, or the legality of what you are downloading / your copy of Windows.....

eggplant_casserole said:
Get a router? That's the best firewall - unless you port forward, nothing should be able to access your PC.

If you're getting trojans, I would question what websites you are using, or the legality of what you are downloading / your copy of Windows.....

That's a load of crap, at least when generalized. ;)

Routers are great, but many of them belong in the dumpster. Personally I've had good luck using replacement firmware (such as DD-WRT or Tomato), and I'm currently using Tomato. However, doing this type of thing isn't for everybody.

That being said, everyone should have a router as PART of their system security, don't depend on that alone.

Agreed about the trojans, however, many people manage to get them without using illegal software -- and a in/out firewall is quite useful there as well.

Personally I use a router, and eset smart security combined with the prompt-based firewall. If you're looking for a fully automatic firewall that never prompts, comodo is a better bet then eset. Depends on your need.

I would like to suggest you the COMODO firewall which is the good one. Also the ZoneAlarm is one of the best firewall application that prevents from unauthorised accesses and it has been passed out the Leak test which proves its capabilities. COMODO also prevents you from buffer overflow critic.

Peterkorse12 said:
I would like to suggest you the COMODO firewall which is the good one. Also the ZoneAlarm is one of the best firewall application that prevents from unauthorised accesses and it has been passed out the Leak test which proves its capabilities. COMODO also prevents you from buffer overflow critic.

Thanks, don't know this COMODO firewall, I finally took PCTools Firewall +, I may have a look at your fw.

PC Tools Firewall has been retired as a free product since the end of 2012. So I need a new free firewall any suggestion ?

I've been using Comodo firewall on my Windows* PCs, although it's the paid Internet Security Pro version that includes the firewall among other things.

*: My primary PC isn't windows based, the windows PCs in my home are mostly for other family members that I maintain.

Looks like Comodo does still offer the firewall-only as the free "Comodo Personal Firewall". I've no complaints with it, well, the paid version at least. I've no idea if there is anything different or annoying with the free version.

Back