Looking for program to limit CPU usage when runnin

I need a program or a solution that can lower the CPU temperature of my computer when I play games or convert videos. My CPU temp has been way too high, around 59C, when I'm doing simple stuff like encoding MP3s.

That temp. is a little high - what CPU are you using? My own celeron 900 never tops 45 degrees, even when it's been running at 100% for hours.

All the programs that I've seen that cool your CPU only work when it is doing nothing. I'd suggest you've got a more fundamental problem, such as a faulty CPU or an improperly installed cooling fan.

Originally posted by Curtis@Aug. 10 2002, 11:16 pm

That temp. is a little high - what CPU are you using? My own celeron 900 never tops 45 degrees, even when it's been running at 100% for hours.

All the programs that I've seen that cool your CPU only work when it is doing nothing. I'd suggest you've got a more fundamental problem, such as a faulty CPU or an improperly installed cooling fan.

Try to use Seftimage or Maya .. or some CAD Sofware
smile.gif
... for you my friend dnguyen800 ... I recommend you to get a nice FAN or ... if possible get nice ALLUMINUM case
smile.gif
.. also if possible open you PC and let it stay like this ... you'll need to clean it like everywaeek ... easy just blow are there .....

I have an Athlon XP 1800+ with some ThermalRight Inc. brand heatsink, and two fans inside my case. I've read that a lot of other people have overheating problems with the 1800s too, so maybe it's not my fault... I'm sure that the heatsink is installed properly, and I used Artic Silver 3 paste.

I assume you are using the Stock Heatsink and fan? using lots of the thermal grease will also help, be genorous, the more the better.

also try running with and open case, and make sure there are few obstructions in the air path.

I was under the impression that too much thermal grease will act as an insulator rather than helping heat transfer to the heatsink.

on Heatsinks with pre-applied thermal grease, yes, they will counteract. on clean heatsinks, if you have too much, it will ooze out, and possibly cause an electrical short, but otherwise is fine. i.e. clean up any excess thermal grease, with a rag.

I've also seen claims that Arctic Silver is a good thermal grease.

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index26.asp

claims 2 degrees cooler than similar products, and it's a bit cheaper, too.

otherwise, consider a Watercooling system. quite a bit of work, but cools better than anything else.

Another thing to consider is if your monitoring equipment is reporting the temp. correctly. Is your system unstable? Are there really any problems with your CPU running this hot? It is highly likely that 59 degrees is somewhere close to the normal operating temp.

What's the climate like in your end of the world?

The idea of thermal grease/paste is to smooth out any tiny pits in either the surface of the chip of the surface of the heatsink. It does this so that the maximum contact is maintained between processor and heastsink, and the maximum heat is transfered to the heatsink. Thermal paste is not designed to transfer the heat, so too much will hinder the transfer.

I presume your usin the stock/standard cpu fan and heat sink in which case i presume u upgrade. The standard ones you get with AMD CPUs are the BARE minimum. My CPU fan and heatsink are well above the standard and ive never had any major problems.

Hope this helps.

I probably have a CPU overheating problem too. The back of my computer is usually literally caked with fuzz and stuff, and it blocks the fan flow. Every so often ill run my hand along it and collect the shit. At any rate, it also might be because my once white computer and monitor is now brownish from cigar smoke, and my chips are blackish in tint instead of their normal colors. At any rate, i dont have too many problems.

Rant=End

I don't have a stock heatsink, I bought a used copper Thermalright heatsink from my friend. It might be the heatsink though, he used sandpaper to sand it down, but I don't think he did it properly. My idle temp is 35C, that should be normal.

anything under 40 degrees Celcius is fine. AMD Athlons run hot. (that's 104 degrees Farenheit, vs your body temperature of 96-99 degrees F)

35C is fine. My 1.3GHz Athlon runs at about 62C at 100% CPU utilization (SETI@home) which is well below the max. temperature of 90C (if I read the AMD docs right).

Back