Looking to buy a Saturn and have a few questions

I came across this site looking for info on the Saturn, and there's tons of info here, I've been reading all morning!

Stupidly, I did have a Saturn when they were first released (when was that, about 9/10 years ago?!), I got it modded with a switch (at great expense of having to send it away), and had tons of Japanese games - I sold it, and OH how I wish I hadn't done that now!

I do have a few questions though, I'm looking to buy a Saturn again, and I'm unsure which one is the best to get - I primarily want it for playing "back-ups" (you, ISO's I've downloaded) and original import Japanese games that you can pick up on Ebay and such.

I'm in the UK, so does anyone have any advice which is the best model to get?

I have a Sony TV that can display 60hz PAL, but I don't think it can display NTSC (I'm pretty sure it can't, but have never had an import console to test it).

I'm looking at a few Ebay auctions, and see several different kinds of models:

- UK PAL with grey power/reset buttons

- UK PAL with black power/reset buttons

- JAP White Saturn

The JAP White one is definately appealing :devil - But I'll need a step-down power transformer, and possible a PAL booster too (? not sure about the last one).

So, I'm rambling now, but my question is what is the best model Saturn to get for someone in the UK with a 50/60hz PAL TV who wants to play burned and import games primarily.

Thanks for any help :)

well first off 60hz = NTSC, 50hz = PAL

Second, there are numerous ways you could do this.

Make sure that you get a model 2 saturn, preferabbly a 21/32 pin IC. It is the easiest and most compatible saturn to mod. 64 pins can give trouble...

You can easily patch games via a program such as "Satconvd" aka Saturn Country Code Converter. It is available in the Help + FAQ section. Using this you can patch the iso to your own region.

I would just do that, but you could also install a switch for 50hz/60hz.

There are documents all over for that one, just google it. DJoeN's site might be of valuable use to you since you are in the UK. His guides are for 50 hz stuff.

http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/djoen.html He has the switch mod on his site.

I hope I helped a bit.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jan 4, 2004 @ 03:01 PM

Not exactly <_<

PAL and NTSC differ in the way colors are encoded. when you modify a PAL saturn to run at 60hz you're not changing color encoding scheme, just the refresh rate frequency. you will end up with a PAL@60hz image, not NTSC@60Hz, the same goes when NTSC machines are modded to run at 50Hz.

Thanks for the ver quick reply.

Which model is a model 2 - that is, how can I tell from the outside?

Yes, the 50/60hz think - I can play DC and Gamecube games on the 60hz option no problem, so I presume the TV can display 60hz fine, but not NTSC.

Originally posted by MiaBocca@Jan 4, 2004 @ 03:20 PM

Which model is a model 2 - that is, how can I tell from the outside?

Model2 saturns have round power and reset buttons, and dont have the cdrom access led, like model1s have.

Edit: Model1s have oval power and reset buttons :)

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jan 4, 2004 @ 03:01 PM

Actually there's PAL60 which is different to NTSC. Many PAL Dreamcast games have a 60Hz mode and the DC outputs PAL60 which is supported on most newish TV's .The GC and Xbox do the same. The PS2 outputs NTSC for any 60Hz modes which can leave you with a black and white screen for non NTSC compatible TV's.

If your TV supports PAL60, use of a RGB Scart cable should allow a NTSC signal to work in full colour.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Jan 4, 2004 @ 01:50 PM

If your TV supports PAL60, use of a RGB Scart cable should allow a NTSC signal to work in full colour.

Really? That's interesting.

So it might be worth going for a white Jap Saturn and getting a step-down converter?

Using an RGB cable worked for my PS2 back when I had a TV that didnt support NTSC so it I dont see why it wouldn't work for other consoles.

Waren: Component isn't RGB at all. It's YPbPr, RCA color difference. At any rate, I don't think they use what we call "component" at all in Europe. But if they did, I'd assume it'd work fine for hooking up an NTSC console to a PAL60 TV.

Hi Mia Bocca :)

Sorry to hear you no longer have the Sega Saturn unit.

I can help you out.

I also live in the UK and use a Sony tv for full screen gaming.

Also on different machine models and formats.

I can be contacted via email if you wish.

Kind regards,

Ian. ;)

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 118
  • aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 118
Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

Waren: Component isn't RGB at all. It's YPbPr, RCA color difference. At any rate, I don't think they use what we call "component" at all in Europe. But if they did, I'd assume it'd work fine for hooking up an NTSC console to a PAL60 TV.

Component CAN be RGB, though it isn't by default.

My PS2 has an output selection in the system settings, for either YPbPr or RGB... and my TV has input selection. =)

Back