LOOKING TO BUY MODDED DREAMCAST

get a regular dreamcast then get a thing called a codebreaker from your local game store for like 10 bucks...that will let u play imports

Originally posted by BJammzz@Jul 16, 2003 @ 09:38 PM

get a regular dreamcast then get a thing called a codebreaker from your local game store for like 10 bucks...that will let u play imports

or Utopia boot disc -- free -- it boots imports doesn't it?

yea i kno about the utopia boot disc, but i dun want to do that, its so much hassle having to use it every time i want to play, and i bet i'll lose the boot disk within a week.

that code breaker thing sounds interesting though, can u give me more info on how it works? does it cause the japanese characters in the game to looked messed up? cause the freeloader for gamecube does that...

thanx for ur replies

that's cool, but how do i "install" the mod chip? i'm using that term broadly. anybody not mind telling me how to put the chip to use?

Originally posted by piccolo38@Jul 17, 2003 @ 07:53 AM

does it cause the japanese characters in the game to looked messed up? cause the freeloader for gamecube does that...

I've never had that problem with the Freeloader.. What games are you using it on? You might have the first version of it that came out which had some problems, they did try to recall all of those.

Sorry to veer off the topic a little.

according to my friend (so not too reliable a source), when the freeloader combined with an american gamecube tries to play an import soul calibur 2, the japanese characters are messed up. i dunno about dreamcast.

anyways, i just want a way to play import games on my dreamcast without having to swap disks or do anything of that sort, so i'm hoping to buy a modded dreamcast. if u have one for sale, or dun mind sharing ur idea, please tell me, thanx

Umm...you buy the modchip, you solder the 4 or 5 wires to the spots the instructions tell you, you play game. Is that so hard to figure out?

Originally posted by gameboy900@Jul 18, 2003 @ 02:37 AM

Umm...you buy the modchip, you solder the 4 or 5 wires to the spots the instructions tell you, you play game. Is that so hard to figure out?

heh, I was going to add that, but I knew you would take care of it or someone else
cool.gif

I thought the standard Dreamcast modchip had 8 wires.

Have I been living in a hole for too long now, and there's a new chip with less solder points than the one I installed? :huh

um sorry if i'm not too familiar with modding lingo, but i'm not quite sure what u mean by soldering the wires to the spots. please elaborate (i have no idea what a mod chip looks like, or have the knowledge that it contains holes to solder into, forgive me, thanx.

Originally posted by ratfish@Jul 18, 2003 @ 03:21 AM

I thought the standard Dreamcast modchip had 8 wires.

Have I been living in a hole for too long now, and there's a new chip with less solder points than the one I installed? :huh

hmm I don't know where you have been living, but every DC Modchip I have seen is 4 wires
wink.gif

thanx for the instruction site, would anybody like to recommend a reliable site to buy a modchip?

also if somebody dun mind could u explain what soldering means (i apologize for sounding ignorant).

there are instructions i dun really understand, such as

*now solder the cables connecting pin 1 from the modchip to point 1 on the mainboard*, and

*As you can see, we marked pin 1, 2, 3 and 4 as two pins always. Solder two of the same pins together!*

again, thanx for ur patience and if my lack of knowledge annoys you just ignore me.

Dude, if even the concept of soldering is beyond you, I'd look to boot discs or something else for playing imports.

Maybe buy a japanese Dreamcast.
rolleyes.gif

Back