Looking to output video to TV

I recently picked up a 1985 Sony Trinitron at a second-hand store (10 bucks!!!) and I got the urge to set it up in the computer room and use it for emulator output . Neither my TV tuner card (WinTV PCI bt878) or video card (GeForce2 GTS) have TV-out options.

So it occurred to me that there might be some kind of device to convert a computer monitor signal (VGA, right?) to a TV signal. But I'm clueless as to what I should be looking for.
huh.gif

edit: how would I output audio in conjunction with this? Just take the normal audio-out of the soundcard and use standard AV cables?

You're looking for a computer (VGA) to TV convertor. This site has some to get you started. You could probably find some old cheaper ones on ebay for a few bucks as well. As for the audio you would need a seperate cable for that as well.

Given that the price of such a device would probably equal or exceed the cost of a new video card with tv out capability, you might wanna just get a new video card. I have a geforce 440mx with tv out, which they have listed on pricewatch.com for a paltry $31 plus shipping. That way, you save money, get more power, plus you could sell your geforce2 if you want which really would make the price of a new card negligable.

The GF4MX is a pretty shite card - I'm not too sure it would outperform the GF2 GTS edition...

Still, a more beefy card would almost certainly be a better way to spend money on a TV out - you get the best of both worlds then.

Originally posted by Curtis@May 1, 2003 @ 07:06 PM

The GF4MX is a pretty shite card - I'm not too sure it would outperform the GF2 GTS edition...

I'll second that, plus you might end up with composite rather than S-video, since some MX440s have that instead.

can't you just add a second card with tv-out?

as long as it doesn't use the same drivers?

That way you could get a cheapo card with decent tv-out, but still have the performance of your current card?

for audio out you can buy a cable that turns a headphone jack into standard RCA-type audio cables.

I use one for my laptop playing MP3s through my receiver.

Radio Shack has them < $10

Decisions, descisions...

I'll watch eBay and Pricewatch and see if I can get a good deal. I'm doing this on a whim... just to see how it'd work. I'm not much of a PC gamer so I dont want to spend too much on a card, but if I come across a deal I'll go for it.

I have an old Voodoo3 2000. Wonder if that has TV out...

I'll have to check when I get home.

If you can't get your capture card working in your current setup, try DScaler. (In fact, try it anyway. It's rather good.)

You could look at one of the cheaper Radeons, I believe most of them have TV-out (S-video) nowadays.

Originally posted by antime@May 1, 2003 @ 11:18 PM

If you can't get your capture card working in your current setup, try DScaler. (In fact, try it anyway. It's rather good.)

You could look at one of the cheaper Radeons, I believe most of them have TV-out (S-video) nowadays.

Umm...he wants to ouput VGA to a TV not the other way around. Descaler is just a fancy (and very good) tv tuner app. Unless his vid card has tv out on it (which for it's age I doubt) they he either has to get a new vid card or one of the external devices I mentioned earlier. The neat thing with the external devices is that they are portable and will work with any pc anywhere instead of a single pc with the vid card. If you have multiple pc's and might forsee that you could want any one of them to be shown on tv that's something to keep in mind.

I posted the DScaler link as he said his tuner card worked only in Win98. I am aware of the fact that it is an input-only device.

I've actually got two tv cards. One on an XP machine and the other older, unidentifiable one also on an XP machine but only works on 98, both of which do not have TV out so it doesn't really matter.

What do you guys think of these wireless PC>TV devices? They sound neat but are they practical?

Back