Lunar Silver Star vs Lunar Silver Star Story (PSX)

Dud

Established Member
I didn't see a changes guide at GameFAQs, does anyone know what changes were made to the game when it was remade on playstation? I've got this on Sega CD and absolutely hate some things about it, I wanted to know if some of these were fixed on the Playstation version. :confused

I haven't really played the SS remake, but from what I read, it doesn't have random battles anymore, and no battles in the world map (what I find to be a big plus). Graphics were re-done, the cutscenes were replaced by actual anime sequences and the storyline was modified a bit (but since I never played, I don't know what changed).

LSS for Sega CD was just a really basic game. The remake they added some more elements to the game to make it more interesting (plot additions). However, in spite of these changes, Eternal Blue is still my favorite for either format.

Is the battle system changed at all? And what really pissed me off about the Sega CD version is the spells don't have descriptions, so you have to try them to find out what they do.

the characters shout out the spell names (can be turned off). some of the dungeons were completely reworked, or even removed. some of the story has also been changed. EB for the playstation is vastly different story wise from the original (and also doesnt include the use of magic skill points for saving thank god).

these are probably SPOILERS unless youve already played the game.......

Some examples. In SSSC, Luna follows you to Meribia instead of staying in Caldor Isle. Also, gone is the legend of the Black Dragon going Insane, replaced by a more intriguing plot element regarding the Goddess Althena. In addition, more depth has been given to the characters of Ghaleon and Alex who, had only a couple of lines in TSS.

Most of the characters only get 8 spells throughout the whole game as opposed to in TSS when characters would literally have over 30 spells by the end.

Also, gone are some themes from TSS namely Alex's harp accompanying Luna's singing. He now uses a Zelda inspired Ocarina.

Hi,

I was speaking (1 year ago) with a guy who wrote the game guides for all the lunar series (segacd, psx, saturn) and he told me that:

Thank you very much. I am glad you found it useful.

I've always loved the Sega CD version of Lunar 2, but

the Playstation version was disappointing in my

opinion.

The PSX version is far more easy because some dungeons (the places where youre always in fight) have been removed...

Anyway, i just played the lunar eternal blue for segacd and i think its the 2nd best game on segacd (after snatcher)...

Bye

Fonzie

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I've played Lunar 2 on the Playstation all the way through, and about 1/4 of the SegaCD version. I am usure about all the subtractions in the Playstation version, but there are two things that make me lean towards it over the SegaCD version so far:

1. It doesn't cost anything to save. Note that Working Designs implemented this system into the US translation of the SegaCD version, and that it is absent from the original. The fact that I could start and stop whenever I felt like it in the PSX version made it 10x more covenient to play, whereas the SegaCD version almost traps me into playing longer, which is not always something I can do.

2. The battles aren't random. I dislike random battles because they discourage exploring, and instead I personally wind up thinking about how to go through dungeons in the fewest possible steps. On this note, I'd also like to add that removing battles from the world map struck me as a good idea.

To me, both of these modifications to the Playstation version make the game much more playable. Sure it's less challenging, but when I want challenge I'll go play one of my shmups. Not to mention, even if the rest of the game is relatively easy, the final boss in the PSX version is the most difficult I have ever come across in an RPG.

I'd also like to add that IMO, the voice acting for Hiro is much better in the PSX version. The tone of his voice itself is much better suited to his appearance.

Last and probably least, there's no avoiding the fact that the sound in the PSX version is much cleaner. It's basically sounds as the original soundtrack would if it had never been compressed. And although some may prefer the old-school look of the SegaCDs graphics, the 24-bit color graphics of the PSX version look great without loosing too much of the style of the original.

the original Lunar can be beaten with ease in 12 hours straight without any extra leveling up needed. lunar SSSC on psx was A LOT harder.. but still playable. I liked the additions and some of the storyline changes, but the game lost some of its touch.

also, as far as I recall, you could press a button or change a setting to get an explanation of the spells and items on segacd.

as for lunar 2, the psx one is way hard, to the point of being downright frustrating.. on scd it was challenging, but except for the epilogue, it never got really hard. on psx, you have to spend hours just on leveling up to stand a chance against basic dungeon enemies.

Originally posted by Arakon@Jun 16, 2004 @ 08:14 AM

the original Lunar can be beaten with ease in 12 hours straight without any extra leveling up needed. lunar SSSC on psx was A LOT harder.. but still playable. I liked the additions and some of the storyline changes, but the game lost some of its touch.

also, as far as I recall, you could press a button or change a setting to get an explanation of the spells and items on segacd.

as for lunar 2, the psx one is way hard, to the point of being downright frustrating.. on scd it was challenging, but except for the epilogue, it never got really hard. on psx, you have to spend hours just on leveling up to stand a chance against basic dungeon enemies.

ill agree with your EB comment. you actually cant gameshark a cheat to beat the game as well. i just wanted to show my roomate the game one day so i put in a code where you got like 5 levels every battle. and then i put on an invincibility spell. i got to the end and the boss damaged, and subsequently handed me my ass.

its not disgracefull. i had already beaten the games many times over but needed a quick way to show my roomate the entire game in a day.

and i could somewhat agree with your last statement, but there are some out there that arent so simple, an WILL kick your ass. at least you didnt say something like "lunar is the 2nd greatest rpg" or something :D

AHHHHH, LUNAR. I love lunar, oh and to be on subject lunar on both are completely different. New characters (I love Phacia). Story a lot different like how the villagers from alexs home town arent the slave miners at the end... so on so forth. But you said Lunar 2 psx style.

My dear god, HARD. zophar was insanely hard. especially because i didnt want to spend the time leveling up 15 more times at 800,000 points per level to get to the recommended level of 60. So i had to do it perfect to beat it legite. After i finished that i felt like a master of all RPG's in the world. And actually havent picked many up since.

I played the Saturn version to the end, and I'm playing the SCD version (haven't finished it yet). Story-wise, I don't see any noticeable difference between the 32-bits and the SCD versions. The only major gameplay change was the grandia-style visible monsters, and the absence of the Working Design's perverted sense of "gameplay improvements" (using magical points to save the game). Most dungeons even have the nearly same design.

The only dungeon up the point I played in the SCD version I saw some major difference was the haunted house: I felt it was much cooler in the original. In the SCD version the whole thing is like a giant puzzle, where in the remake it's more like an usual dungeon.

I also noticed the game got a bit harder in the remake. I had to go back to previous dungeons sometimes to hunt some enemies, so I could be able to face the enemies in the current dungeon. Or camp around the nearest Goddess statue and go back and forth between screens killing enemies for EXP. In the original, the random battles were laid out in a way you often had a fair level.

And I agree, Zophar was fucking hard. I *had* to make a perfect strategy plan and follow it without mistakes during 30 minutes or so to defeat the damn bitch. And the battle plan involved using *ALL* of Lemina's MP to use the White Dragon Crest over and over again, to prevent that fag Zophar from killing characters nearly every turn.

yeah i know... i put lunar 1 in to stay on topic and then spread into lunar 2 cause i love lunar 2. oh and you brought up lunar 2, thats who i meant by the words "you"

Back