m thinking of a new tool

*EDIT: I'll make this a coherent speech*

Well, i've been working on a program that can decode 256 color palleted pics.

The concept came to me when Arakon posted asking for a pallete ripper.

It made me think on all the games that have a proprietary format for images, with the pallete in diferent locations, etc. I've now been succesfull extracting stuff like the BG's and intro screen from MKR with it.

Anyway, no release yet. Just wanted to avoid the forum pointing to that awfull VF tread. ^o^

(Edited by TakaIsSilly at 4:13 pm on Oct. 19, 2001)

Well, it seems simmilar to the stuff I was decoding. If I can find an allegro version that runs with Visual C++, we'll talk. What were the "improvements" you were thinking?

Just DL'ed it. When I get my pc back, you'll see the results. As for converters, CNV files provably have more data than a MIDI stream, and also have some kind of raw sound data (since it behaves kinda like a AWE64 sound card). Besides, image converting it's _so_ mutch easier.

From what I understood CNV files themselves are mostly converted midi data(they just optimized the files by converting certain midi commands to their own saturn format). Of course alot of developers themselves liked to make a data library out of all their CNV files + tone data + map data + whatever else I missed... Anyways, I also have the format specs if you want it.

Cyber Warrior X

Quote: from TakaIsSilly on 6:26 am on Oct. 16, 2001

Well, it seems simmilar to the stuff I was decoding. If I can find an allegro version that runs with Visual C++, we'll talk. What were the "improvements" you were thinking?
The last time I tried Pakread on the .PAK files for Street Fighter Alpha 2 (US version), the output was quite weird. Say like you have an 8.5x11 inch paper, imagine that's the relative size of the converted picture. Now imagine a small box (e.g., 3x4 inch) aligned near the top of the paper, and imagine that box represents the picture that you see when viewed on the TV monitor while playing the game in Illustrations Mode.

If I can find Pakread.zip that I've downloaded a while back and test it again (link at SX seems to be down at the moment), I'll create a screenshot and post the link here for you to see what I mean.

The improvement, as you may have guessed, would be to have the converted picture to crop to its correct size, if possible.

here's some of the stuff i was able to rip :

<center>

pursea.gif

All the little faces that appear in the GUI of MKR... not the in-game ones, tough...

group.gif

also these backdrops in the load game menu, and generally, all the BG's of the MKR GUI.

SEGA.gif

Oh my, a SEGA logo in the MKR CD. How unexpected --;

DOA.gif

Finally, this title screen and the random backgrounds of the options menu from Dead or Alive.

</center>

Nice, huh? I'm not releasing now because the tools need a little tutorial to be used :p

... BTW, the tools are in QuickBasic, again. Prepare yourselfs for _slow_ operation --;. I really need to start coding in C, but i'm _sooo_ lazy.

*ups, HTML typo*

(Edited by TakaIsSilly at 8:58 pm on Oct. 18, 2001)

Way to go! Great work Takashi.

Those look great! I could port it to C if you want.... Although I know you can do it in a minute if you really want to...

Back