Making copies of Sega CD's Is it easy?

You need to check if your software is adding silence to the audio tracks, thus NOT producing exact copies - some versions of Nero, as example, do that by default.

Some Sega CD games (Lunar and Snatcher, as example) have some parts that rely in the track length, and those parts will hang/freeze/wait forever if the track is longer/shorter.

You need a PERFECT copy of the disc, and this includes ensuring all tracks are identical, and in the same order. To do so, avoid storing the audo tracks and the data tracks separatedly in your HD, it's a bad idea when you're not too familiar with CD burning. Try to use a software/format that allows you to copy the whole CD at once, or rip it into a single file to your HD before burning.

Clone CD, Blindwrite, Discjuggler and Alcohol 120% provide straightfoward support to such operation. Nero also does that, but if you don't pay attention you can screw it. Not sure about Roxio... had bad experiences with it.

Thanks for all the advise. Im using the standard HP "Record Now" software and just clicking on the "exact copy" option, so Im not copying anything to my hard drive. The software might be doing this though as I only have one CD drive.

Ill try burning another copy and if it doesnt work, Ill try another program and/or a different speed.

Originally posted by mal@Mar 18, 2004 @ 08:08 PM

Do you have anything on CD to CD copying (let alone specifically for Lunar)?

All I can see at first glance are ripping and restoring guides.

guess i forgot all about cd to cd copying, as i always rip to an image before burning a back up. that's the most reliable method i know of.

cdrwin has a cd to cd copy button, the second one in the top row. the options are pretty self explanatory. make sure you have "copy to image" selected and not "directly to cd recorder." copying to image (this is a temp image) is more reliable than on the fly copy. if i were going this route, i would also check the "raw sectors" box. raw sectors seem to make burning programs happier, and i always rip to raw images. you should knock the reading speeds down for more reliable data- i recommend less than 20 for data and less than 10 for audio. audio seems more susceptible to errors than data.

if you want to do this in nero (using nero 5 btw), there is a cd copy option in the new compilation window. go through the option tabs and make sure to uncheck the "on the fly" box. this should use the temp image process.

i should mention that cdrwin is your best option for burning sega cd games. blindwrite is ok for ripping but doesn't burn properly; nero, clonecd, and discjuggler will make "working" copies- when i did some tests with them they all had a sector or two that were a little off. if you have to go with those they should be fine as long as you're not obsessive about having perfect backups.

about nero adding silence to audio tracks, i've never heard of that. i do however know that certain burners (at least mine and one other guy's) added a very short amount of empty data to the beginning of audio tracks on burned cd's (in my case, its 272 bytes, for the other guy it was 24). this is a very minimal amount of time out of the audio track, and i highly doubt it will create issues when playing burned games. i experienced this with all the programs i tested for burning.

any of these programs are preferred over your hp recording software. i've never heard of/used that, but i know how hp builds computer and they have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

my last tip is that all mixed data-audio discs should be burned DAO. i don't know how the idea got spread around that certain games should be burned TAO, but i'm pretty sure that's a bad idea.

as for Lunar not working, i'm guessing it's a bad burn. if you continue having trouble with it, i'll see if i can come up with something else you might need to know.

I guess I was too subtle.

I was trying to make the point that your post was irrelavant.

Well I figured out the problem with the Lunar disc. It wasnt making EXACT copies. You called it King M.

I popped my original Lunar disc in my Sega CD and brought up the CD player menu and checked the total number of tracks and total track time (52 tracks 47:08). This matched exactly with both the copies I made. (i went and made a second copy thinking it was just a bad burn the first time. Second copy was at 8x, first was at 24x)

So, I then went and checked them track by track. I found some interesting information. The first track (i assume is a data track since no music plays) was 1:12 on the original and the copies, but when it went to track two with the copies it started on second one and had to back up to zero and then play. The second track on the original was twelve seconds, but on the copies they were fourteen seconds long. And the rest of the tracks were all off by two seconds.

So Im assuming that when it burned that second track and it went wrong and the player has to back-track to zero, that is where the two second descrepency is comming from.

So I guess I need to find some new software to burn with.

This makes me want to go back and check the other games I burned that actually load up and play fine.... they might have a similar mistake.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi everybody:

I´m having problems burning sega cd games. Some months ago I burnt 14 games and they worked well but now I have tried to burn two games without success.

I am using Nero 5.5, cdr Philips and Emtec, 8x speed, iso+wav with a cue and the copies work in Gens but not in my Mega CD 2.

They are 80 minutes cdr but I burnt Fatal Fury Special on one of those and it worked.

Oh, I almost forgot, the games are Keio Flying Squadron and After Burner III, American versions that I convert to European with ConvScd (maybe the problem is here).

Please help me, I really do not know what to do :(

Back