Making XP Look Like a Mac Keeps iPod from Syncing!

racketboy

Established Member
For the last week or two I have been enjoying the the beauty that FlyakiteOSX (http://osx.portraitofakite.com/) has brought to my PC (both my desktop and laptop).

About last week I was noticing that when I went to put a new podcast on my iPod shuffle, I would get a "An unknown error has occurred (-36)."

I didn't think a whole lot of it because I just needed to add a file or two. But then, my mom wanted me to update her iPod. To make a long story short, I had to clear off her iPod and put everything back on. When I went to put music back on, I got the -36 error again. iTunes would simply not let me put any music on my Mom's iPod. The iPod I just bought her for Mother's Day!

Then I remembered my issues before -- so I tried it on my iPod again. Still didn't work. So I figured it wasn't the iPod itself. So I went through all the diagnostics on this page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301267

I even shut down every optional process in Task Manager to make sure there were no software conflicts.

Nothing helped. So I thought I would try it on my laptop to see if my desktop was at fault. I had to copy some MP3s onto the laptop and import it into iTunes (since I can't copy from a Network Share to the iPod) and it had the same error!

So I was trying to think of anything that woudl have changed since I last had a successful sync. Finally I realized I installed FlyakiteOSX on both machines. So I uninstalled FlyakiteOSX on my laptop -- and sure enough the laptop can now sync.

Could Apple have some hidded quirk in iTunes to forbid your ipod to sync if you make your PC look Mac-like? Or is this really a technical issue. I even diasbled all the optional components of FlyakiteOSX like ObjectDock and ColorFolders on the desktop -- still doesn't do any good.

All that's left with FlyakiteOSX is registry tweaks and skin/icon changesm, right? Why would that keep an iPod from syncing???

Any ideas/solutions???

Definately a conspiracy going on there. Sounds like Apple has stooped to Microsoft's lows.

A lot of those types of programs can cause weird errors like that. I use StyleXP, and one theme I was using caused the 'add/remove programs' control panel to crash with an error message every time I launched it. Took me a long time to figure out what the cause was. I'm sure it's not intentional.

I highly doubt Apple would bother with something like that. Now if it was an alternate OS entirley that worked on Mac hardware, ala Linux, I could see them doing that.

Originally posted by it290@Fri, 2005-08-05 @ 04:32 AM

A lot of those types of programs can cause weird errors like that. I use StyleXP, and one theme I was using caused the 'add/remove programs' control panel to crash with an error message every time I launched it. Took me a long time to figure out what the cause was. I'm sure it's not intentional.

[post=137930]Quoted post[/post]​

so any tips on how to keep most of my skinning etc and still be able to sync?

File a bug report with the authors of flyakiteOSX? It's most likely a big with their program.

well I posted it on their bugs message board -- we'll see if they actually do something about it...

Back