Mario Kart DD anybody?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
I personally can't wait for this one to come out. The screenshots look superb and if the gameplay is anything like the last 2 Mario Kart games then this will be the game to beat!

I have not liked Mario Kart in all its incarnations although I did enjoy playing Diddy Kong racing when it first came out. This is one of a few franchises I hoped they would leave behind them.

(Edited by calgan at 11:45 am on Aug. 25, 2003)

I don´t like what they doing with it c´mon they´re not even carts? I always like this game its a classic everyone stole nintendo on this one like crash bandicoot team racing on the psx. I hope they go back to the drawing bord and rethink what they´re doing I liked a lot Mario Kart 64 and when played via a emu in hires it hits full power I still have to get a adaptoid tho.

(Edited by AtaryFX at 7:52 pm on Aug. 27, 2003)

AtaryFX said:
I don´t like what they doing with it c´mon they´re not even carts? I always like this game its a classic everyone stole nintendo on this one like crash bandicoot team racing on the psx. I hope they go back to the drawing bord and rethink what they´re doing I liked a lot Mario Kart 64 and when played via a emu in hires it hits full power I still have to get a adaptoid tho.

(Edited by AtaryFX at 7:52 pm on Aug. 27, 2003)
Yes, they are carts... GO-CARTS. Not like golf carts, which you're no doubt thinking of.

You ever seen a go-cart?

I'll give it a try. I love mario kart. But i also don't care for some of the changes. Hopefully it plays well.

I personally like the original Mario Kart (on the SNES) - it was challenging, had stuff to unlock, and once again it was challenging - that 150cc special cup was a bitch to beat ;)

Though when Mario Kart 64 came out, the gameplay changed dramatically and I immediatelly frowned upon it. Though after playing the game through, I could make a better judgement. Now, I don't dislike it because it didn't have the same 'feel' as the original, but I do dislike the way the COM has been programmed. Basically explained, when you are in 1st place, the computer always stays close behind you. Not all of the computer players - it seems to be split into groups, usually with the first two computer players leading (or following close behind you), then gaps in between groups of the other computer players. Though all stay rather close together. Even if you were in 1st place and you used a star or multiple mushrooms, you couldn't gain any distance from the computer, and as soon as your item ran out, they were right back at annoying you ;)

Mario Kart for SNES on the other hand was the opposite of this - you can get giant gaps in between the computer players, which becomes even more evident as you progress through the laps. If you were in first place and used a star, you would be way in front, and would be able to maintain your lead providing you were skilled enough at the game. Sometimes you could be doing so well you start to lap the computer players. This is something that you can't do in Mario Kart 64.

Though Mario Kart 64 had it's pluses. For example, the Battle Mode was far more entertaining than the original Mario Kart's Battle Mode. With the combination of improved graphics and being in a 3D environment, the Battle levels as well as the actual race levels really took shine. The combat mechanism also changed, and for the better I might add :p. You can hold your shells behind you which can be used as defence for shells being fired at you, and the accuracy of shooting shells is a vast improvement. Much fun indeed :)

Now where am I going with all this? Ah yes, Mario Kart: Double Dash. I believe that this game will be different from all the previous Mario Kart's. Unlike Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart which came out in their consoles earlier years, Mario Kart: Double Dash is appearing finally after many years since launch. There has been much time to gather thoughts, design and improve the game, so I'm expecting it to be something else. A real winner. When you think about it, this is only the third Mario Kart game (not including gba) so we should definately not be bored with it. Hopefully it will have good gameplay to match it's graphics, otherwise the effort is wasted. The two characters per kart sounds interesting though could be a good thing if done properly, and I have no doubts that Nintendo can do this. :aacool:

Double Dash!! just got two 10's and a 9.5 from EGM, just barely missing a Platinum award. =)

I got it yesterday with my zelda bundle gamecube... It's pretty awesome, it doesn't play like a mario kart to me, but it's still pretty good. The drifting is a nice addition, but I think it makes it a little to easy. It's kind of funny, this is the first time in a long time that i've paid 50 bucks for a game, and it's well worth it.

Nadius of Rome said:
I got it yesterday with my zelda bundle gamecube... It's pretty awesome, it doesn't play like a mario kart to me, but it's still pretty good. The drifting is a nice addition, but I think it makes it a little to easy. It's kind of funny, this is the first time in a long time that i've paid 50 bucks for a game, and it's well worth it.
Cool. From what I hear, they got rid of the hop... so I guess there is no chance in hell that it's gonna feel/ play like the original Mario Kart. I don't really care. This just puts my estimate 1 step closer to reality - if it doesn't feel or play the same or strikingly similar to Mario Kart 64 then my guess was correct :aacool: I also heard that in single player game, you can't control any of your weapons, which kinda sucks...less stuff to master to become good at the game. Perhaps I heard wrong.

Nope, you can control the weapons.
When I bought it, i had the impressions that each character had his or her own strengths, like maneuvering, acceleration, speed, shooting accuracy and such, so like there was actually a benefit to swapping seats, but as far as i've played and seen, it really doesn't matter who's in front and who's in back. I think i'll read the manual....

It's a good game...not what i expected, but still fun. I think i'll get FZeroGX and see how it compares to that.

Nadius of Rome said:
Nope, you can control the weapons.
When I bought it, i had the impressions that each character had his or her own strengths, like maneuvering, acceleration, speed, shooting accuracy and such, so like there was actually a benefit to swapping seats, but as far as i've played and seen, it really doesn't matter who's in front and who's in back. I think i'll read the manual....

It's a good game...not what i expected, but still fun. I think i'll get FZeroGX and see how it compares to that.
Wow, sounds like a good game. Nintendo are always good when it comes to making a game well balanced B) Cheers for the info :aaevil:

Back