MDFourier: An audio analysis tool for comparing Mega Drive/Genesis audio

I've busy for the last few months with this project that is game preservation related. I am excited to hear what you guys think, and which results you get from it.

Here is a small description of what it is:

MDFourier is an open source software solution created to compare audio signatures and generate a series of graphs that show how they differ. The software consists of two separate programs, one that produces the signal for recording from the console and the other that analyses and displays the audio comparisons.

The information gathered from the comparison results can be used in a variety of ways: to identify how audio signatures vary between systems, to detect if the audio signals are modified by audio equipment, to find if modifications resulted in audible changes, to help tune emulators, FPGA implementations or mods, etc.

And the attachments show the kind of output it can give, comparing a Sega Genesis Model 1 VA3 vs a Sega Nomad; and a VA3 with Sega CD compared to a Model 2 VA1.8 with Sega CD.

It is not limited to the Sega Genesis, and will be working on expanding the software available for generating signals... I hope to get to arcade pcbs as well and try and document their audio signatures.

Please check out MDFourier: An audio analysis tool for gaming hardware for the full documentation, interpretation information and downloads.

Attachments

• sample1.png
    sample1.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 293
  • sample2.png
    sample2.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: vbt
Back