Metal Slug

Hey Guys,

I just recently got Metal Slug X for the PSX and I must say it's absolute shit. It was painful to watch how many beautiful frames that hacked out of that game. Where's the love?

I know that Saturn is superior to PSX in terms of 2D processing (that's what it was originally geared towards) but how much better is it? Is it worth tracking down Metal Slug for Saturn? How's the translation? Or should I just wait and get a AES with phantom-1 (which I'm doing anyway)? What are your guys' thoughts?

It`s a good version. In case you didn`t know, it requires the 1 meg RAM cart (so animation should easily better the psx). But you`ll probably have to fork over $100 plus for the saturn version, so you might as well get the Neo Geo

You could always peruse the FTP forum to find Metal Slug for the Saturn. Just be sure to find it yourself. Requests are against the rules...

MAME would be another option. It emulates the Metal Slug series.
smile.gif

How do you figure Metal Slug X for psx was shit? It was fairly good, especially for psx.... Gameplay always makes up for things anyways. Great stuff... I mean I would never take it over a Neo-Geo AES version but it was good.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jan. 07 2003, 1:09 pm

How do you figure Metal Slug X for psx was shit? It was fairly good, especially for psx.... Gameplay always makes up for things anyways. Great stuff... I mean I would never take it over a Neo-Geo AES version but it was good.

I guess for me, part of the joy of playing metal slug was the extreme level of detail in terms of animation and graphics. I mean, the neo was doing this kind of funky stuff way before anybody and it was downright jawdropping amazing! I love the baroque style of the Metal Slug games - the gameplay is great but it's the two elements together that make the experience. Playing the psx version of MSX was like watching the fullscreen edition of the Fellowship of the Ring: the essential elements are the same but the presentation was really, well, messed up IMHO. If you enjoyed the game, great - I'm just very disappointed overall. Although, MS3 for PS2 sounds tasty right now - no excuse to hack off frames this time around...

I know what you mean.. But I just didn't think it should be bashed that bad.. But I don't really know what I'm saying if your a die hard neo-geo fan then yea I know what you mean.

I have Metal Slug on the Saturn, and I can say with all confidence it is very, very faithful to the arcade original, if not already arcade perfect. The animation is superb, and I can't see any difference between the arcade version and the Saturn version. You won't see any loading in the middle of a stage like the PSX version, but the loading time before each stage is a bit on the long side. The only other downside I see with the Saturn version is that some of colors are a bit washed out, but it's not obvious, and you have to look for it to be able to tell.

Again though, the animation is outstanding and matches the arcade version perfectly, just remember that the later games have even more animation, so the original may not look as fluid, but it still destroys most other 2 games out there.

As for the PSX version of Metal Slug X, I have that as well, and it's complete swill. The animation has been butchered beyond belief, the blood has been turned grey to become "sweat" and the loading times are annoying unless you play it on a PS2 with fast loading.

I can only hope Playmore does Metal Slug 3 justice when they port it over to PS2.

Back