Mod chip question

I bought a Sega Saturn and am now looking for a Mod chip

I found lots of sites with chips but they all talk about 21 pin and finding what type your Saturn is.

My Saturn has ovel (sp? >_<) buttons and if I counted right (the right thing that is..so tiny made my head hurt v_v;
wink.gif
It's 20 pin Saturn.

So will buying a mod chip help?

and if it will, will it play games I burned from ISO's with the batch files and all that?

thanks for the help

Unfortunately the 21 pin modboards will not work in a 20 pin Saturn.

You may be extremely lucky and find a 20/21 pin modboard, but it's highly unlikely.

The correct modboard would allow you to play CDR games from your own region. To play imports you need to change the country code with Satconv or get a cartridge like an Action Replay.

I'd recommend either getting a 21 pin Saturn and a modboard or learning the swap trick with the Saturn you already have.

I was trying the swap trick but 2 things

I feel bad about breaking my Saturn

and I haven't gotten it right yet

could it be I've counted the wrong thing...I heard some ovel button systems are 21 pin. I haven't seen any pics so I have no clue really what I should be counting

Originally posted by Miwako@May 13 2002,11:34

Could it be I've counted the wrong thing...I heard some oval button systems are 21 pin. I haven't seen any pics so I have no clue really what I should be counting

You should be counting the number of wires in the ribbon cable that goes from the CD board to the main board.

OK...I guess I do have a 20 pin saturn then >_< damnit

I'm pretty sure I swap dangerously.

I wait for the first time (after the light stops blinking) with my finger under the CD and then I flip it off the tray and quickly try to get the other CD on (see...dangerrrrr) I flick that one off and try to get the other on.

I'm a bit slow on this and will that read a ISO bin file or whatever I burnt on a CD?

Originally posted by Miwako@May 13 2002,21:20

will that read a ISO bin file or whatever I burnt on a CD?

I suggest you read a few of the burning guides from here. It'll make life so much easier for all.
smile.gif

Ok thanks

the only thing that doesn't help me with is the fact the laser doesn't even take the trip to the edge of the CD. It goes to the end of the data ring on the CD and heads back which is less then a second. I'm not that fast
happy.gif
;;

any pointers here for me? The FAQs don't cover that

An even easier way then actually counting the pins (always gives me a giggle) is just looking at where the ribbon itself plugs into.

On the board, they'll list where pin 1 is and pin 20 or 21 just left and right of the ribbon itself.

same goes when you mod your saturn.... the board lists which pin is what along each chips corner so you know which pin to solder to!

Ok look, swapping is fine. You aren't hurtint the saturn by flipping them off, that's just HOW IT'S DONE. Just put in the copy, wait for the light to fnish blinking, stick in the original, then the light will blink once.... then it will blink three times quickly. right after it finishes, swap again. some games take like 40 seconds to boot up, like nights. It takes a long ass time to get started.

It's called unnecessary wear and tear and will, when done over time, lessen the lifespan of your machine. CD-ROM assemblys were not designed to have discs ripped out of them and inserted onto them while spinning.

Back