Mod Chips Works...Kinda. Need Help.

I have recently bought a modchip from http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm (I got the "Saturn Mod Chip Board V1"). After installing it and using the Bridge points A+B method, it did not work. I tried multiple combinations of solder joints (the 0014 and 0019 settings) switching the ends of the ribbon cable around etc. I even tried soldering to pin 14 instead of the A+B bridge method. None of these worked, all of the options just had the same effect - ALL CD's were read as Audio CD's rather than game ones. No matter what i did i could not get it to boot a game. Then, after reading something on this thread:

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=4368&st=150

about the ribbon cable pushing the modboard out of its socket, i tried pushing against it. This time, success! after succesfully doing this about 4 times i tried to wedge the modboard in place with some paper. Howver, this did not work. Now, when i come to try and boot game, it just does the Audio CD thing. None of the settings were changed from when i managed to get it working (0014 bridge, A+B bridge). What should i do? What do you think could be the problem?

Perhaps i should clean the contacts on the modboard and the socket? If so what is the best way?

Perhaps it was not me pushing it that affected it, and it was something else? What other ideas can you suggest?

Perhaps it was me pushing it, and its the modboard+socket not having a proper connection. If so what ideas do you have to remedy this situation?

This damn thing is really annoying me now, especially as it was so close to working. Sorry about all the questions but i'm really at the end of my tether with this. Any help you can offer would be dearly appreciated.

If after moving the modboard slightly, it began working; well then its definately a connection problem. I suggest you re-create the situation where the modboard started working again, and pay close attention to what position it starts to work at. Then use a non-conductive material to hold the mod chip in place. It wouldnt hurt cleaning the contacts on the modboard and/or ribbon cable with some electrical contact cleaner. Once your happy with the modboard working, only then put the case back on the Saturn. Good luck

I've been trying to recreate the situation, but I can't do it anymore. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the modboard with meths (methilated spirits) but that hasn't had any effect. As for cleaning the contact on the saturn itself, how would I go about that? The contacts are in that thin little white connector so I cannot reach them easily.

Bah, doesn't matter now anyway - the chip is totally broke :( .

Back