More UK sanyo board modding woes

A while ago I tried to mod a sanyo saturn. I think I must have killed the chip with statics following the wrong instructions and trying to make the chip fit. Then when I followed the real instructions and it didn't work I tried evrything and ended up knackering the saturn.

One trip to eBay later I ended up with... another! how many of these things are there? Anyway, I followed the right instructions and I get the control panel booting up. No funny grinding noises and the disk spins properly. I can play audio disks and the audio from saturn disks perfectly but there is no 'start application' merely the CD+G button. There are only two possible reasons as far as I can tell.

1. Dead chip. there is some funny stuff on the surface of the chip.

2. No power to the chip- I took a cable for car electronics and it is fat and ancient.(only thing I could find) its core may be broken.

P.S. anyone struggling to get the chip in place, try cutting a space in that thick metal covering the expansion bay as otherwise it gets in the way of the mod board.

P.P.S. how long does a fresh battery last for saves?

Any Help would be great.

PLEASE SAVE ME FROM EVIL SANYO SATURNS!!

A-B method doesn't work for all Sayano Saturs, but it does work with some of them. The CD won't spin without power to the mod board. I read it the "How to mod a <stuff goes here> without soldering to the cd board" thread that someone soldered the wire to a component on the bottom of the board to get the nessisary signal. I don't know the page, but the whole thread is an interesting read. Because your mod didn't come with wires attached, I'm guessing it didn't come from racketboy or jandaman.

About the battery: get a memory card, back up the saves once in a while. One of my Saturns (1 of 2) loses the date before any saves are lost, so that'll give you a hint. I got an Action Replay from Jandaman, works great.

I guess I should have learned that last time, but it was £20 on buy it now with nights into dreams, a light gun, 6 other games, and all the games were boxed. It came with one I had never heard of, johnny bazookatone which is fantastic. You should add it to the top 50 games.

I know its a silly question but when your saturn loads up to the control panal have you tried opening the lid then closing it again? You probably have tried it but thats what i have to do on mine (not that my saturn has a sanyo board) but once i open and close the lid the saturn reads the disc again and then the CD+G button changes to start application.

No, but I had a few goes and if I boot the saturn with the lid open, then put in a real game it will let me load it up properly (thanks very much for your suggestion). It won't let me do it with a backup, but it also seems to take ages and the animations on the control panel stop for a few seconds. eventually it says either "disk is unsuitable for system" or gives me CD+G channel.

This suggests to me that it is now my backup that are stoping it working. I have one written from a cue ( ISO and Oggs (-> waves) ) in PAL and one from CUE/BIN patched to Europe. I have Alcohol 120, clone CD and nero and I burned the CD's in alcohol at 4X in 'normal cd' setting and in DAO/SAO. My CD-Rs are naff but are modern and are unscrated.

bin + cue files are ment to be burned via cdrwin. Don't bother upgrading it. niether cdrwin nor nero works for me, so I use Discjugger, and THAT works (I thinks it's a problem with my burner). I'd also recomend using Verbatim media.

I tried burning a CD in diskjuggler at the slowest speed with the default settings and I get the same problem. :damn:

My best option may be another (third) Saturn. :(

Back