MS/XBox vs Sony/PS2 - battle for livingroom

racketboy

Established Member
This is an interesting piece from News.com

It talks about Sony and Microsoft's efforts to make consoles more of an all-in-one piece of everyone's entertainment centers/digital lifestyles. (Nintendo isn't mentioned because they are devoted to only gaming).

Some parts may be things you have heard before, but the article brings up some interesting thoughts.

What do you think?

Well, Sony is about to release the PSX, which is indeed a "entertainment center".

I personally believe that neither the standard PlayStation2 or the Xbox fall into that category though.

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 11, 2003 @ 06:01 PM

PSX am out already, and imo is not that impressive

Well... look who made it, and the architecture it's based off of! :lol: 😀 😛 :cheers :smokin: All of $ony's slaves are gonna flock towards it of course. I hate those poeple...

Nothing against you Des-ROW. I still love you! :blush: :wub: :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 11, 2003 @ 11:40 PM

Well, Sony is about to release the PSX, which is indeed a "entertainment center".

I personally believe that neither the standard PlayStation2 or the Xbox fall into that category though.

well they basically were referring to the PSX.

I just put PS2 in the subject so it wouldn't be confused with the PSOne's alias, PSX.

And XBox has some functions espec with Music Mixer.

But the article, if you read it, talks about future plans

I need only mention the Unix credo: "do one thing, but do it well". All these things are IMO merely attempts to sell gaming consoles to a wider audience. I don't think that's a bad thing in and of itself, but it will only lead to the industry being even more of a money machine than it is now - which seems to result in fewer and fewer truly excellent games hitting the shelf. I think online console gaming is a good thing, but other than that, I can live without pretty much all of these additional functions. Then again, I still don't own a normal DVD player, 90% of my music is on vinyl, I have more games for Genesis than any other console, and my favorite computer is the Amiga, so maybe I'm not entitled to comment about this kind of thing.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 11, 2003 @ 06:26 PM

I need only mention the Unix credo: "do one thing, but do it well". All these things are IMO merely attempts to sell gaming consoles to a wider audience. I don't think that's a bad thing in and of itself, but it will only lead to the industry being even more of a money machine than it is now - which seems to result in fewer and fewer truly excellent games hitting the shelf. I think online console gaming is a good thing, but other than that, I can live without pretty much all of these additional functions. Then again, I still don't own a normal DVD player, 90% of my music is on vinyl, I have more games for Genesis than any other console, and my favorite computer is the Amiga, so maybe I'm not entitled to comment about this kind of thing.

Can't be closer to the truth... :cheers

Also...

Amiga fucking OWNS! 🙂 😎 😀 😛 :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :bow

Since the PSX is more of a multi-purpose-video-game-dvd-playing-burning-system-thing and less of a standard video game console, they've got well, too much in there.

I guess if you want to shovel over cash for one of these hybrid things, you must really be buying it for the other features, and not just for the game aspect. Not that I wouldn't buy one if I could afford it, but it seems like a waste.

Less effort put into the games, and valuable resources diverted into other features.

I don't really want to have a huge Xbox-like system either (PSTwo was a good idea in this case). -ed.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Dec 11, 2003 @ 07:04 PM

Well... look who made it, and the architecture it's based off of! :lol: 😀 😛 :cheers :smokin: All of $ony's slaves are gonna flock towards it of course. I hate those poeple...

Nothing against you Des-ROW. I still love you! :blush: :wub: :thumbs-up:

Dude, you hate Sony so much, it becomes comical. The irony is that your whole identity (Cloud/FF7) is based around a cornerstone game, that singlehandedly made PS1 the King of it's generation 🙂

As of your DesRow comment, it looks like the high level of unreleased sexual energy (i.e. sperm hitting the roof) does allow for an exception in your usual 7 years old naive mind 🙂

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 11, 2003 @ 04:01 AM

PSX am out already, and imo is not that impressive

They hacked the somewhat impressive specs to make it ready for the Christmas rush, including 24x down to 12x, no mp3 support, can't use CD-Rs on it, just to name a few.

When these things get bigger, they get more unwieldy to use, i.e. the remote control gets ridiculously large. I'm annoyed that my TV has a menu that goes 4 levels deep - I can only imagine how annoying it is to set a lot of this stuff up.

Then to counter-act that, there's an implementation of 'let the machine do it for you!' which I've always hated, because it never does everything to my specifications.

Can't please everybody I guess.

Cloud, could you tone down the anti-Sony ranting, if you're going to keep the full FFVII regalia? You're making us look bad. That, or knock it off with the smilies. It's really irritating.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Dec 13, 2003 @ 12:28 AM

Cloud, could you tone down the anti-Sony ranting, if you're going to keep the full FFVII regalia? You're making us look bad. That, or knock it off with the smilies. It's really irritating.

Aye, he does make you feel slightly ashamed to be a Sega fan 😉. I think it's just youthful exuberance though, it's not like he's breaking any rules.

I do use my PS2 for DVDs since I don't have a dedicated player and I was pretty grateful for the optical-out before I got a NetMD (no need for the optical with one of those). DVD players are getting so cheap now that I can't see this whole 'all in one entertainment centre' thing having much of a point. Especially since the playback isn't exactly great at the moment. And the only people I can see messing around with a hard-drive on a console are people who probably have a PC anyway. That said, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to put my own music on Tony Hawk which I suppose I could with the Xbox.

What the hell? Just because I love Cloud and FFVII, doesn't mean I have to love $ony. I HATE $ony. You all know that by now. How the hell do I make you feel ashamed to be a Sega fan? Is it the Cloud thing? My Anti-$ony image? What's the deal.

Oh and about the smilies, I love 'em too much. They seem to add a lot to the posts. That, and they look cool as hell.

Dhau:

Unreleased sexual energy? What do you mean by that?

you can be a tad on the embarassing side

you don't like fanboys, but you act just like one.

you are like the ultimate anti-fanboy. please don't take that as a compliment 🙂

I'm not really annoyed, but you could turn it down a notch.

I'm not obsessed, but I know how guys can get excited about a girl on a video game messageboard, i don't understand it either though..

Back