MTV's top 15 games of all time...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member

Anyone see this, my bro told me about it but I missed it. Anyone know what the list was? From what he said not 1 sega game made it on the list. It could also have been on VH1 or sumthing liek that.....this seems liek a more VH1 style thing but he said MTV so I dunno? but ya, anyone know what came in where?

Heh, what a silly concept. Being an MTV list I wouldn't be surprised if five Tony Hawk games made it in there, heh. Kind of like if EGM did a top twenty music videos list or something. Although given MTV's top music videos, that might not be such a bad idea... (although I do like Sabotage)

It was done in conjunction with EGM, and they added the disclaimer that it's more like "the most influential game serieses since 2000" than "top games of all time".

DDR, Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, Mario, Sonic... all made the list.

#1 is Zelda.

I hate MTV.

The Sims? What a joke. There is some unimaginative trash on that list!

Hah. What a bunch of tripe.

Although as far as The Sims go, although it's certainly not on my top games list, and although it's been milked to death, it was a fairly innovative and original game when it first came out (I say 'fairly' since it did borrow from Tamagotchi as well as previous Sim games).

Just about everything EA makes nowadays is unimaginable trash! The last thing they made that was orignal, fresh, and new, was NBA Street (May 2001), and, before that, SSX (October 2000). EA is just a rehash company now. Final Fantasy series? The hell? Okay, in my personal opininon, only FFVII, IV, and IX would be on there (VIII would be an Honorable Mention), not the whole series. At the top of my list? Tough choice between Virtua Fighter Evolution and Phantasy Star IV. Phantasy Star IV is the BEST RPG EVER! Whereas VF Evolution is well... VF! 😛

Edit: Yeah, it's on the front cover of the current EGM. I read it, and laughed my ass off!

Well it is a crappy list for the most part, I mean as recognizable as mario is, sonic is just as notable if not more so.... and phantasy star is a legendary series.... but I guess they didn't take that into account.. oh well, at least we know the real story...lol

Originally posted by stack99@Jan 5, 2004 @ 03:21 PM

Well it is a crappy list for the most part, I mean as recognizable as mario is, sonic is just as notable if not more so.... and phantasy star is a legendary series.... but I guess they didn't take that into account.. oh well, at least we know the real story...lol

Wasn't sonic at one point more recognizable than Mickey Mouse? I remember reading that somewhere. Probably in a game magazine.

wtf, dance dance revolution isnt one of the top 10 games of all times.... halo is probably on there, right , its the only xbox fanboys tool for a good gaming argument........ theres segfa fanboys and xbox fanboys

Sonic deserved to be in there, but Mario is more reconisable. To us Sonic is, but to the rest of the world Mario is. I heard that being more reconisable thing about Mario back in the day. I think I seen it on TV or sumthing?

Soul Calibur....although a good game, not worth of being on there. I think a lot of the 2d fighters are better. Soul Calibur is fun but it's just a button masher for the most part.

The Sims is sumwhat origional....they just too from all the other previous life sim games (harvest moon, those little tomagotchi pet things, etc. It also remings me of that game Haunting for sum reason). I really dont see how NBA Street got on there....they were saying it was all origional and stuff but does anyone remeber NBA Jam? Hangtime? Comeon kids, NBA Street is nuffin new......except for hitting an extra button as much as u can to see your guy roll around on the ground. IMO, I thought the game blew a fatty. Go play sum NBA Jam 🙂.

Def Jam Vendetta? haha. Am I the only one who thought that game was insanely horrable? WWF Smackdown.......innovative for its genre I guess.

DDR at #15? bastards....that should be in the top 5. That is a VERY innovative game and has spawned many a clone, kinda like Pokemon.

Madden series? I guess they did start sum of the cooler football features.....deserved but not the number it got.

FF series is alright....1-2 gems but nothing to brag about. I thought the 2 Golden Sun games were excellent compared to ANY FF game I have ever played. but hey, it takes all kinds.

Ya, I seen this last night so here is my rant....enjoy 🙂.

Sonic deserved to be in there, but Mario is more reconisable. To us Sonic is, but to the rest of the world Mario is. I heard that being more reconisable thing about Mario back in the day. I think I seen it on TV or sumthing?

Indeed. It was said about Mario, not Sonic.

But of course, try telling that to a SEGA community. 😛

Soul Calibur....although a good game, not worth of being on there. I think a lot of the 2d fighters are better. Soul Calibur is fun but it's just a button masher for the most part.

Hell no, it's not a button masher! ROFL! Button mashing is more effective in Guilty Gear X2 than that game.

Def Jam Vendetta? haha. Am I the only one who thought that game was insanely horrable? WWF Smackdown.......innovative for its genre I guess.

To most of the gaming world, anything Wrestling related is garbage...

DDR at #15? bastards....that should be in the top 5. That is a VERY innovative game and has spawned many a clone, kinda like Pokemon.

Speaking of Pokemon... why is THAT not on the list?

FF series is alright....1-2 gems but nothing to brag about. I thought the 2 Golden Sun games were excellent compared to ANY FF game I have ever played. but hey, it takes all kinds.

The FF series has more clout than every other RPG series COMBINED. Face the facts, you incurable Sega fanpeople (you too, Cloud! Phantasy Star may be great, but it has never been taken too seriously by any non-SEGA fans).

And I don't know about Golden Sun 2, but the first one got psychotically boring by the halfway point.

F(_)C|< MTV.......anyone got a link to the list? otherwise i cant help but complain about the lack of sonic

slacker I included it in the post about 7 or so entries up, check it out.....

Heh.. that's one reason why VF and PS appeal to me so much. Not only are they the best in their genre, but they've both got they're own little group of hardcore fans. Which I am proud to be a part of.

Edit: Tag, check your PMs.

Hell no, it's not a button masher! ROFL! Button mashing is more effective in Guilty Gear X2 than that game.

I can't agree with you there, heh. SC2 is about as unbalanced a game as they come, nearly as lopsided as SF2:WW in my opinion. True, button mashing won't defeat the skilled, but it will defeat the average, which shouldn't be the case IMHO.

EDIT: That's not to say I don't like the game, although it's not as good as SC or Soul Edge in my opinion.

SC is unbalanced like it said....I am an average player (know a little bit but haven't put tonz of time into it) and my little cousins beat me a lot of the time and all they do is hit the 4 damn buttons. I haven't played GGX2 but I do have GGX for DC and it's pretty damn hard. button mashing will win the first 2-3 guys but after that u better know sum shit or else your in for sum tuff fights.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Jan 6, 2004 @ 08:43 PM

SC is unbalanced like it said....I am an average player (know a little bit but haven't put tonz of time into it) and my little cousins beat me a lot of the time and all they do is hit the 4 damn buttons. I haven't played GGX2 but I do have GGX for DC and it's pretty damn hard. button mashing will win the first 2-3 guys but after that u better know sum shit or else your in for sum tuff fights.

My friend Casey, who lives in Nevada, took a trip to visit some friends and relatives in another state.

He's good enough that on default difficulty, he can always beat Boss I-No in the various story modes and Arcade mode without using Instant Kill, and without running too low on health.

One of his cousins beat him using Eddie (ZATO-1one in GGX) and mashing HS.

That doesn't really mean much... playing against AI opponents hardly ever emphasizes defense, which is needed when playing against a masher. I can go balls out against the CPU in a lot of games and crush them, whereas my relative lack of regard for my own safety would get me killed against any decent human player.

Back