MVS to AES converter

I know that this may be bordering into rom talk, but I have been considering getting an MVS to AES converter for my JAP neo geo.

The thing i was wondering about is when you run an MVS cart on an AES system, do you get an options menu? I now that this may sound dumb, but im relatively new to the scene.

The reason why i ask is because i was wondering if the information for a menu is retained in the program code for a neo geo game that has both been released for AES as well as MVS.

know that this may be bordering into rom talk,

ahh no ts not

The thing i was wondering about is when you run an MVS cart on an AES system, do you get an options menu? I now that this may sound dumb, but im relatively new to the scene.

I often wonder the same thing ....

The reason why i ask is because i was wondering if the information for a menu is retained in the program code for a neo geo game that has both been released for AES as well as MVS.

Im prettysure your exactley right , on my neo geo home cart system it had two menus , one to test out your controls and one to check out saved memory card games , no options menus gore/difficulty ect . Ive heard theres a mod chip that will let you open this menu . I think all options are on all cartridges , ive noticed when I tell the emu the game is a home one I get a few more scenes , whens it arcade I can adjust all those things I was talking about .

Originally posted by Berty@Nov. 02 2002, 7:51 pm

It really depends on the carts. In most cases, yes you would. The only cases I can think of where you wouldn't are prototype carts like the protos of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters '99, and King of Fighters 2001.

Berty,

I actually had one when they were first coming on the Neo scene, before !ARCADE! was selling the Phantom-1 converter, and yes, You DO get an options menu.

See, ALL NeoGeo MVS games were originally slated to be released on the Home Cart system, even though some like Ninja Masters, Super Dodgeball, and a few others that I cant recall never did make it home. What determines whether or not you get an options screen is the BIOS in the machine being used. You see, the hardware in the MVS carts and Home carts is IDENTICAL, except for some rewireing, and the ROM chips are connected to larger PCBs, hence the problem of MVS carts not fitting Home systems, and vice versa. But they are the exact same boards and information. So, when using a MVS converter to convert the arcade only release of "Super Dodge Ball" (yes, all home carts of SDB are CONVERSIONS, not real releases) you WILL get an options screen, with Difficulty, 2 Player Vs, etc. Just like a regular Home cart game. Same thing. Now, on the other end of the spectrum, if there WAS a converter for Home to MVS, (which there is NOT, it would be pointless) and you stuck the home version of Fatal Fury 3 in the converter, and powered up your MVS, it would NOT give you options, it would act just like the Arcade counterpart.

A good way to explain this is to use the Emulators. Sorry about the ROM talk Admins, but this actualy does answer his question. When you use an emulator, you can usually set the emu to work as an MVS, or a home system, yet you only have ONE set of ROMs, not 2, arcade and home. Thats because the actual program code in the games are identical, so when the MVS version of Game X was dumped, so was the Home Version.

Sorry im a bit wordy, but I hope that helps.

Ninja Masters made it out but was pulled from the shelves for an unknown reason and was hard to find, I got mine for $170 bucks and then sold it later on for like $125 bucks but I kept the manual for it, same with my metal slug 2. both were usa official home carts.
sad.gif
bummer....

Ninja Masters never made it FAKK. If anything you got a conversion that originated from Dion Dakis. The most infamous Neo Bootlegger out there. He runs NeoGeoFreak, aka. NGF-USA. He destroys old carts, like Nam75, or Fatal Fury carts, and rips them apart, rewires them, and connects the ROM chips of 'rare' games, and releases them as 'official' ones. He is in NO way official. If you got it for 170, thats not too bad, as he sells them for more. Hes even made several bootlegs of the original Metal Slug (which the original REAL US release can rake in over 1000 USD) by destroying MVS Slug carts and sold them for 'a real deal' of 500+ USD. LOTS of people in the Neo Community hate his guts.

Ive seen several of his conversions for sale on ebay, and even in some stores. I almost bought a Super Dodgeball Cart at a gameshop, until I saw his NGF logo inside the insert. If you remove the insert to these "Freaked Carts" as theyve been referred to, you can see a small stamp with the NGF-USA logo on it.. totally ruining it. I cant remember all of the MVS only games, but I am positive Ninja Masters and Super Dodgeball were never officially released for the home system (cart system) by SNK of Japan, or USA. Maybe you were thinking of Ninja Commando? or Ninja Combat?

Back