My Pal

I have about 2-3 games for my saturn that are PAL. I tried searching through the documentation on this site but only found info on NTSC/PAL switching on the Sega Genesis.

Is there any way to convert the game itself, or at least the video signal, from PAL to NTSC?

If I could convert the game itself somehow it would be great, but if not then is there some type of signal converter box I can attach to the A/V wires? (A signal box would be great too though, I could play the PAL PSX games I have that way too)

This is the mod I performed, but apparently it won't work on all motherboard models. Soldering to pin 79 of VDP2 should always work, but is a very easy way to ruin your Saturn.

Note that the mod will only switch between 50/60Hz video, the encoding will stay the same. Also, most PAL area games aren't PAL-optimized meaning they're running at slower speed with squashed video so unless your games are optimized and won't work properly at 60Hz there's no point in making the mod.

For your PSX games, there's a neat program called PALPAR that can generate Gameshark codes to force the game into NTSC/PAL. It works with almost all games, I've only had trouble with some newer game that use anti-piracy tricks that hide or encrypt files.

Do you mean that this mod would permantely make my saturn PAL or I can choose? And what do you mean by "the encoding will stay the same"

As for PSX, I have tried about 5 seperate programs to alter the isos from PAL to NTSC. All failed, I alto tried using a bootdisk thing that claims it can do pal/ntsc switching, that didnt work either. I am starting to think that my ModCart that I got from GameGizmo is interfering with the bootdisk's ability to pal/ntsc switch. Because also all the GameShark codes I try to get past those anti-mod games worked in my cousin's psx which has a non-stealth modchip and a normal gameshark, but they dont work in mine, which has a modcart.

Originally posted by Cyber Akuma@Jan. 30 2003, 7:01 pm

Do you mean that this mod would permantely make my saturn PAL or I can choose? And what do you mean by "the encoding will stay the same"

I meant that the direct-to-chip mod involves lifting up one pin of the videochip and soldering directly to it, and it's very easy to break the pin. And after you've done the mod, your NTSC Saturn will either output normal 60Hz NTSC or 50Hz NTSC. It won't give out a PAL signal. Likewise, PAL Saturns will give out either normal PAL or PAL60, not NTSC.

As for PSX, I have tried about 5 seperate programs to alter the isos from PAL to NTSC.

Well, this utility doesn't require you to burn any modified copies so go ahead and try it out. As I said, most games work fine with it.

Back