N64 emulator plugins

Gallstaff

Established Member
After building my new rig i figured i could try me out some n64 emulation to see how it compares to when i tried on my old comp. All seems good but the default audio and video plugins are total ass. Does anyone know where I can find a good amount of n64 emulator plugins? I'm using project 64.

mod yer xbox....it's sweet.....quite a few games are actually emulated pretty well. if it's the same plugins used on the xbox version....get daedalus (or sumthin liek that) and rice 5 and rice 4.

The best emulator, as I'm sure you know, is Project64. So go to www.pj64.net and download 1.5Final, along with the Service Pack.

After that, for plugins, you can find them as www.emulation64.net, or at Zophar.net

The best video plugin I found was Jabo's DirectX6 (not 7) v1.5.1 plugin... although the TR64 OGL plugin is increasing. More and more people are using Glide64 these days actually, in conjunction with the eVoodoo Glide Wrapper, as the plugin itself is very well made and stable.

For Audio, Azimer's Audio v0.40 Beta2 I found was the best, as it support some games which other plugins distort with for sound, such as Resident Evil 2. But it's slightly slow and jumpy so use Jabo's DirectSound 1.5 plugin if that occurs. Controller? Doesn't matter, but I use the N-Rage one.

All of Jabo's ones are packaged with Project64. Hope that helps :)

ERGH! I found the best one that works, jaboo's direct 3d. I am trying to play majora's mask and it runs pretty good but everytime the sequence where the new day breaks is supposed to come up the game hangs. I can still hear the music and stuff but the fps drop to ike 19 and it's all buggy and i cant see anything it's just black.

This cant be cause of my video card can it? I have a 9500pro.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Oct 12, 2003 @ 04:45 PM

ERGH! I found the best one that works, jaboo's direct 3d. I am trying to play majora's mask and it runs pretty good but everytime the sequence where the new day breaks is supposed to come up the game hangs. I can still hear the music and stuff but the fps drop to ike 19 and it's all buggy and i cant see anything it's just black.

This cant be cause of my video card can it? I have a 9500pro.

The only plugin which emulates that shrinking effect is Glide64...

Just wait it out, it'll end eventually.

Anyway. www.emutalk.com, there's lots of discussion on plugins and stuff.

Well Majora's Mask is completable, so it's strange that your game hangs... (I don't remember there being a problem, but my eyes don't usually pick up the small things, so I may have missed it)...

But if it is just taking a long time, you could always hit F4 to turn off the FPS Limit until that bit is over.... A lame solution, but it works.

I've not tried Glide64 on Majora's Mask, but I've heard people rave about that plugin you ages, some even using it on their Radeons/GeForce cards with a wrapper, choosing it above the D3D plugins. While I do doubt it beats the Jabo one, if it solves the problem for that game, it may be worth a try... perhaps...

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Oct 13, 2003 @ 03:44 AM

Well Majora's Mask is completable, so it's strange that your game hangs... (I don't remember there being a problem, but my eyes don't usually pick up the small things, so I may have missed it)...

But if it is just taking a long time, you could always hit F4 to turn off the FPS Limit until that bit is over.... A lame solution, but it works.

I've not tried Glide64 on Majora's Mask, but I've heard people rave about that plugin you ages, some even using it on their Radeons/GeForce cards with a wrapper, choosing it above the D3D plugins. While I do doubt it beats the Jabo one, if it solves the problem for that game, it may be worth a try... perhaps...

Heh, beer goggles are great =)

Actually Jabo's plugin is pretty crap at this point, glN64();, Rice's Daedalus, and Glide64 have all surpassed it.

Main reason Glide64 is so great now is Gonetz has REALLY put a lot of time and effort into it... and Glide is actually pretty compatible with many of N64's low-level graphics functions (hence why UltraHLE also used it initially).

The game is "COMPATIBLE" with Jabo's in that it runs and doesn't screw the game over with bugs. The 'screen shrinking' effect is currently ONLY emulated in Glide64... go Gonetz!

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Oct 14, 2003 @ 02:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Oct 14, 2003 @ 02:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shakey Jake33@Oct 13, 2003 @ 03:44 AM

Heh, beer goggles are great =)

Actually Jabo's plugin is pretty crap at this point, glN64();, Rice's Daedalus, and Glide64 have all surpassed it.

Main reason Glide64 is so great now is Gonetz has REALLY put a lot of time and effort into it... and Glide is actually pretty compatible with many of N64's low-level graphics functions (hence why UltraHLE also used it initially).

The game is "COMPATIBLE" with Jabo's in that it runs and doesn't screw the game over with bugs. The 'screen shrinking' effect is currently ONLY emulated in Glide64... go Gonetz! [/b][/quote]

Well admittedly I've never actually completed Majora's Mask on the emulator... I perfer to use my cart =P

But I know someone IRL who has, with the default plugins... which I'd assume is Jabo's.

To be honest, I wouldn't notice much difference performance-wise between the plugins... my computer runs the emulator full speed (as far as I can see) on all plugins... so any progress the other plugins have made would be largely un-noticable by me =P

But I did give Glide64 a try out of curiocity, on Ocarina of Time, and while it looked nice, it didn't quite look as 'close' as Jabo's did...

But to be fair, I was using a Glide Wrapper, so I'd assume it's the fault of the wrapper *nods*

To be honest tho, any plugin which manages to emulate the Resident Evil 2 movies gets my full support :p Tho of course that won't be happening any time soon :)

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Oct 14, 2003 @ 06:10 PM

Well admittedly I've never actually completed Majora's Mask on the emulator... I perfer to use my cart =P

But I know someone IRL who has, with the default plugins... which I'd assume is Jabo's.

To be honest, I wouldn't notice much difference performance-wise between the plugins... my computer runs the emulator full speed (as far as I can see) on all plugins... so any progress the other plugins have made would be largely un-noticable by me =P

But I did give Glide64 a try out of curiocity, on Ocarina of Time, and while it looked nice, it didn't quite look as 'close' as Jabo's did...

But to be fair, I was using a Glide Wrapper, so I'd assume it's the fault of the wrapper *nods*

To be honest tho, any plugin which manages to emulate the Resident Evil 2 movies gets my full support :p Tho of course that won't be happening any time soon :)

Sweetie, I wasn't talking about performance, I was talking about feature support.

And yes, the wrapper does break a small handful of things, like multitexturing.

Oh, well it probably does have more features :) I was blown away by the amount of tweakables Glide64 had.... meh as long as it runs, runs well, and looks like the game, I'm satisfied :) I do use some of the other plugins tho... mainly for games which like to be a pain in the ass (like the aforementioned Resi2, but I believe Daedalus runs Perfect Dark a tad better than Jabo's.... but I may be getting confused..)

Back