N64 RGB mod problem

Hi, i wounder if you would be able to assist me. I have had the RGb mod done to my JAP N64 a few years ago, and i havent played my n64 for ages, i got it out the other day and when i turned it on i notice the display was wrong, there was kind of a ghosting effect across the middle of the screen like a bar going across, sort of like interfernce maybe??, but you could only notice is on light colours, if there were dark colours being displayed then you could notice it!!

I looked at this RGB mod guide
http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbn64.htm

and noticed that it was different from the one that had been done on my n64, instead of the wries going to the U4 VDC chip on the top they were soldered to 3 points underneath the board more or less where the U4 VDC chip is!! I decided to take all the shielding off and have a look at what points to solder form the guide on the site! When i took the shilding off and looked at the U4 VDC chip i notice that pins 22 & 23 were soldered together!! I looked at all the other solder points across the board and not one of them were soldered together, so i though maybe this is what was causing the display problem, so i decided to unsolder the 2 pins! I did so fix the n64 back together and fired it up, the display came up with no image distortion or the ghosting effect, BUT i did notice that the picture was quite a bit darker, it wasnt the brightens i needed to adjust it was the contrast on the TV! I had to iincrease this on the TV and the display was all correct no image distortion and was the right brightness!!

Do you know why the contrast has been reduced now i have unsoldered these 2 pins, should i of unsoldered the 2 pins from one another??, or why the display was messed up in the first place?? If you could help that would be great

Back