ne1 have experience fixing PS2s

I find that replacing it with a Gamecube works wonders!
smile.gif

ok here is the problem -- bran new ps2

after a few days my ps2 is dead?

when booting- the cd wont spin and i get a black screen

is the bios dead?

i installed a dms3 mod which worked fine for a week

yesterday i put in a backup (cd) and there is a werid crunch noise -- after a longer than usual pause the game boots -- plays for a little while and all of the sudden crunch crunch crunch, or click click click - the game stops and the image begins to fade --- cd wont eject -- reboot --cd spins violently -- wont eject -- flip the power off - pick up the system - i hear a click - put system down , reboot - now cd ejects

could have the dms3 scrwed the system up ? killed the bois?? -- could a cd problem cause the black screen?

any input to this - ne1 experience this ?

that was what i posed on a repair forum and was ignored

my gues was that somthing in the cd area screwed up and when i rebooted the system and the cd started spining very violenty i cut the power (cause it was just getting louder and louder with out stop) and cutting the power killed a fuse

this is a version 7 ps2

also does ne1 know what the fuses are can i just replace with any smd fuse

when i boot the system i just get a black screen and no cd spin -- im hoping this is just a fuse and not a problem with the bios

Well sounds like a screwed up mod install... If this is your first install this is probably why... Ps2's aren't easy psx mods.

Check your solder connections with a multimeter and make sure you didn't bridge any pins or anything.

If everything looks good then maybe head over to http://www.ps2newz.net they will be able to help you there.

A simple solution to this problem is buy another ps2, swap the cases with the serial and return that ps2 for your money... Yea not too legit but if your really wanting to be dirty, I don't recommend it but your choice is your own choice.

Crunch crunch and click click noises sound mechanical in nature. There is a chance you didn't put something back together properly when you reassembled the system. Open it up and check to see if anything looks wrong. Try running it with the case open so you can tell where the noises are comming from. As for the bios stuff. You may have bridged some traces on the board or disloged some wires in there.

Originally posted by Jaded God@May 14, 2003 @ 05:58 PM

A simple solution to this problem is buy another ps2, swap the cases with the serial and return that ps2 for your money... Yea not too legit but if your really wanting to be dirty, I don't recommend it but your choice is your own choice.

If it wasn't Sony we were talking about, I'd say be a good boy and take responcibility
smile.gif

no no no -- i said it was working fine -- and then this happened while i was playing a game --- well anyways i fixed it

no way i botched up a mod - i do SMD soldering all the time - i also triple checked the continuity before i put everything together and checked all the solder connections under magnification - so i knew there wasnt a problem with a loose wire or continuity

some how the controler port flex cable became disloged and screwed thigs up --( what sucks was that i took apart the cd drive first before i found the problem with the cable) -- i also checked all the fuses and they were fine -- so the controler cable was the problem

so if any of you guys folow the ps2 repair stuff -- you can add the controler flex cable to the what gives a black screen problem list - if the cable can do that then im sure the contoler port fuse also can cause this (i think theres 2 one for reg controler stuff and the other for the vibration)

as for the crunching -- my gues is that when the cable came out -- the ps2 became confused and ran the cd drive screwy

i like how idiots start their talk about the problem saying its a brand new ps2, then mention they installed some fucktard modchip, hello wonder what your problem is

I disagree.

no way i botched up a mod - i do SMD soldering all the time - i also triple checked the continuity before i put everything together and checked all the solder connections under magnification - so i knew there wasnt a problem with a loose wire or continuity

... he said, among other things - AND he said his PS2 worked fine for a week before this started happening. Seems to be he's not nearly as much of an idiot as J**** says he is. In fact, J**** just doesn't seem to have read his posts carefully enough...

Ah, but I'll drop this and let you people help him with the PS2 thing (I cannot make a worthy contribution to solving it, unfortunately). :smash

You might wanna check the ic called BA6664FM usually it blows on the V7's it is a weakness within the version. If pin 8 is fully grounded then your screwed.

thanks guys

-- but i re-read my original post and i cant find what was not understandable

and just in case you guys couldnt understand the last one

the problem was the controler flex cable somehow became disloged which resulted in the black screen and no cd spin (well it did spin but for about 1/2 a sec (disk didnt even make a full 360 degree spin)

so if ne1 gets this problem -- before taking the cd module apart to check the alignment, lense, or gears (etc) check the controler flex cable and the fuses related to the controler --- i say this because from what i hear the cd module is very finiky and you may end up giveing your self more problems by taking it apart

Back