Need a mixing cable for my sega cd

sega-parts doesnt carry the mixing cable (the one that goes from the headphone jack of the original genesis to the back of the original sega cd system) and i cant find any on ebay. anybody here have one or know where i can get one?

Originally posted by racketboy@Mar 6, 2003 @ 07:46 PM

I think you can get one at radio shack -- can't remember what the other name for it it

audio patch cable... i think

rca stereo mini jack to rca stereo mini jack

you might want to omit the rca part as it tends to confuse most radio shack clerks

try and get a 3ft one, but a 6ft one'll work if you have no choice

about 3 bucks. make SURE it's stereo though. any radio shack will have one, most other places that sell audio components should too

Originally posted by sizone@Mar 7, 2003 @ 02:18 AM

rca stereo mini jack to rca stereo mini jack

you might want to omit the rca part as it tends to confuse most radio shack clerks

try and get a 3ft one, but a 6ft one'll work if you have no choice

about 3 bucks. make SURE it's stereo though. any radio shack will have one, most other places that sell audio components should too

yeah I've notcied most radio shack people get confused easily too
smile.gif

As, it seems, do you guys
tongue.gif

You mean 3.5mm Stereo plug to 3.5mm Stereo plug. RCA is the type you use to connect the output of the Sega CD to your TV/Amp, not the "audio mix" input.

Originally posted by Curtis@Mar 7, 2003 @ 11:30 AM

tongue.gif

You mean 3.5mm Stereo plug to 3.5mm Stereo plug. RCA is the type you use to connect the output of the Sega CD to your TV/Amp, not the "audio mix" input.

yeah but we don't work there -- we're not "supposed to know that stuff"

I'm just a computer guy
smile.gif

Curtis Posted on Mar 7, 2003 @ 11:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no, what goes to your amp is a stereo plug to a standard rca plug (ie. one left channel one right channel) what goes from the headphone jack of the genesis to the audio in on the back of the segacd is mini pug all the way around

From the SCD, there are RCA outputs. You use these (or at least I do) to get the sound from the complete Genesis/SCD/32x combo.

okay so if i dont play genesis games then i dont need the plug? i just always noticed missing sounds during the bios song if i just used the red/white jacks straight out of the sega cd.

Wow I wish I had read this post before I posted mine. I am going through the same problem. The one you are looking for is the one curtis mentioned. It should have come with your Sega CD if you have version 2.0. Same wire as used by a pair of headphones except there are no headphones on the other end...just another plug. The way I have mine set up at the moment is I have the an audio cable running from the RCAs on the back of my sega cd to the RCAs on my Receiver. This does not give all layers of sound...like on the BIOS screen I just get Drum and Bass line. I have another audio cable(red)...which is only one channel...running from the headphones jack to the mixing jack. This gives me full sound out of one floor speaker and the drum and bass out of the other. If I get the audio wire in just the right position it will give me full sound out of both speakers and sometimes out of my rear speakersbut the quality isnt as good as it can be with the 3.5mm. Thats why I need the cable you are looking for too...so i can get full sound out of both speakers. Or, a much easier and better looking way of having it (gets rid of that unsightly wire hanging out of your genesis) is if your TV has RCA plugs. My old TV had both kinds; the yellow/white/red and the red/white. This way you can hook your tv directly up to your Receiver and get full surround sound not having to worry about a bunch of wires running all over the place.

Someone mentioned an amp? I wasn't aware that amplifiers were now included with surround sound systems. If so, I sure would like to see what it can do for mine.

Are you sure!!?

Let me guess; Are you losing the right channel when you use your mixing cable?

If so it may be a hardware problem and not your cable.

I've noticed with Model 2 SCD that the stereo jack is of poor quality. Like some cheap headphone sets, they sometimes eventually lose the right channel.

Before purchasing a new cable I would test the suspected bad cable on something else. I test it by hooking my portable MP3 player into the soundcard of my computer, I then use an MP3 that test both the left and right channel. *Be sure to disable 3d sound effects on your soundcard.

If you are comfortable with a solder iron you can easily fix this yourself. I have soldered a stereo wire onto the SCD board, this then plugs into the Genesis. You could also hide the wire altogether by running the wire through the inside of the SCD and Genesis, then wiring it to the inards of the Genesis.

This has benefits; no visible wire, open stereo jack for headphones, and it also doesn't disable the RF sound if you happen to use this. Normally, when you plug the jack into the SCD it disables the RF sound on the TV.

*Be sure to get the left/right channels right!
wink.gif
Reply if you need tips, I rarely read email.

Back