Need a new video card fan

I have a BFG Tech. GF4 Ti4200 card and the fan is starting to make a lot of noise. I cleaned it off with some compressed air and it got better, but it's still uneven and makes noise when it starts up. I called BFG Tech support and they said I'd have to send the whole card in for repairs. It would only take a few days to get it back, but I'd rather not be without. Is there a place I can get a replacement fan that will both be fast enough and fit? I don't need/want to replace the whole heatsink, I just need a fan. I don't even know if that's possible, since I'd have to get one that has the right screw holes. But maybe there's a universal one? Anyone have any ideas, or am I going to have to do w/o my computer for a few days while they send me a new card?

Looking at it, it appears to have the whole heatsink with it. Would I be able to take the fan off and replace it (that is, unscrew it and put it on my card w/ current heat sink)? Is it a standard layout for positioning of screw holes, or is it a chance kind of thing? Was the card you replaced your fan on a BFG Tech card too, or another brand? I know nothing about this kind of stuff, so I'm learning. It's hard to tell what's what from just pictures.

I think the holes are fairly standard, some brands may differ. If you get the 'universal' one they offer, it should work with just about anything, but the one I mentioned above is supposed to be pretty much compatible with all GF4Ti's, although you may want to check how close your card is to the reference design. Don't worry about the power connection as it comes with an adapter to hook it directly up to the PSU if need be. My card is a Leadtek and works fine. The heatsink/fan I bought actually is quite different from the heatsink that came on the card -- the stock heatsink covered the entire thing, whereas the new one just covers the chip. They're not really 'screw holes', they're actually spring loaded plastic pins. The memory sinks attach using a thermal adhesive that seems to work quite well.

Anyway, I was questioning all that stuff too, but I wouldn't worry about it too much... it seems like most GF4Tis are pretty much the same. I think Thermaltake has actual diagrams somewhere one their site if you poke around though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you do go for the same model I got, don't use the thermal grease on the memory sinks.. it'll make the adhesive not work! Use it only on the actual GF4 chip.

Actually, they have an advance return policy. They didn't make that known on their web page. I emailed them asking how long it would take to get a replacement, and they said they would send first if I called and gave them a CC number. Much like how Maxtor did it when my HD died. Except these bastards are charging $15 for shipping. But that's about the cost of a new fan/heatsink anyway, so, it's all good. Thanks for the info though. I'm sure some day I'll try overclocking and will mess with my video card more :)

Back