Need Donations to upgrade the messageboard

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Due to the recent hacks, we are in need of an upgrade for the message board as it has been a looong time since we last upgraded. vBulletin wants $160 to upgrade for a one year license.

I am asking if you can donate money so that dibz can upgrade this board. There is a PayPal button to the left menu to which you can send funds.

Thank you!

Couldn't you just get the security patches from invision instead? afaik they are provided for free even for trial boards.

Some hotfixes are in their announcements forum, but I think to get the full updates you need to log into the customer area.

If you're willing to switch to something else, have you considered switching to a free messageboard software such as Phorum or phpBB?

We tried phpBB, while I like it it seems that isn't the general notion of everyone else. Not to mention phpBB is the most exploited board around these days, even the new versions. vBulletin was suggested due to it being quite the piece of software, and is actually cheaper then ipb.

Recent versions of vBulletin have had holes as well. I have yet to find a "safe" messageboard package...

Originally posted by ExCyber@Thu, 2005-12-08 @ 12:30 PM

Recent versions of vBulletin have had holes as well. I have yet to find a "safe" messageboard package...

[post=142339]Quoted post[/post]​

Weither you upgrade or not I donated... that was panfully hard... stupid ie and its security crap that doesnt work the way you want it too.

vBulletin is not cheaper than IPB.

vBulletin (1 yr license): $85

IPB (1 yr license): $69.95

vBulletin (full license): $160 + $30 per year for updates

IPB (lifetime license): $185.00 one time fee

Good point Zero 9. In the end I like vBulletin much better and is a much better board for larger sites, although I'm not sure if SX can really be considered a larger site.

Well, I'm not trying to promote IPB, but the switch to vBulletin would probably be pretty painful. I think IPB has proven itself for larger sites also, I've seen it running smoothly on sites with 1000+ active members.

I don't know if it may be the security crap here at work (although I've used Paypal here before), but the link to the left keeps telling me after login and clicking "Pay" that I have to be logged in to "see this page".

I can go directly to paypal.com though and do it... it's just I don't know what email address I should submit too.

Anyone else have this problem? I'd certainly like to donate for whatever reason to the board I spend God knows how much time on.

I was having the same problem. It was IE blocking stuff. I had to turn off all the security protection just to donate and then reset them after. Oh well I donated and come next paycheck I might some more :)

Back