Need sum help....

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Hey, I wanna know what all u can do once u have sumone's IP address. Can I tarck it back to their home addy? Don't think u can but maybe there is a way...ummm ya, just whatever.... take this IP for example....what can u tell me about this?

Unfortunately there is no certain way of finding out the location of a machine, but here are some things you can try:

First and simplest, the machine's name can be found out using nslookup:

$ nslookup 64.12.101.166

Server: ns.kolumbus.fi

Address: 193.229.0.40

Name: spider-mtc-ti041.proxy.aol.com

Address: 64.12.101.166

So we know it's one of AOL's proxies or maybe a webspider.

You can find out who owns the IP block of the address using whois:

$ whois 64.12.101.166

OrgName: America Online, Inc.

OrgID: AMERIC-158

NetRange: 64.12.0.0 - 64.12.255.255

CIDR: 64.12.0.0/16

NetName: AOL-MTC

NetHandle: NET-64-12-0-0-1

Parent: NET-64-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Assignment

NameServer: DNS-01.NS.AOL.COM

NameServer: DNS-02.NS.AOL.COM

Comment:

RegDate: 1999-12-13

Updated: 1999-12-16

TechHandle: AOL-NOC-ARIN

TechName: America Online, Inc.

TechPhone: +1-703-265-4670

TechEmail: domains@aol.net

# ARIN Whois database, last updated 2002-12-23 20:00

# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's Whois database.

Each whois database entry must have an administrative contact entry, from where you might deduce the location of the domain's administrators but that might not be where the actual machine is located. You can also try traceroute and try to deduce geographic information based on the route, figuring out where the machines on the way are located. It helps if you can try from several locations, using different ISPs.

Many ISPs also give their machines names based on location, but this seems not to be the case here. If you're serious about tracking someone down, anti-spammer webpages might help you. If you're actually hunting a spammer, asking the anti-spammers directly (eg. on news.admin.net-abuse.email) might do the trick.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Dec. 23 2002, 6:01 am

Hey, I wanna know what all u can do once u have sumone's IP address. Can I tarck it back to their home addy? Don't think u can but maybe there is a way...ummm ya, just whatever.... take this IP for example....what can u tell me about this?

Don't do something that will do nothing but get you in trouble...
biggrin.gif

And here is a site that can track the location of the IP address and where it is originateing from, has some nice visual maps too.

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

Thanks guys, will give this stuff a go....pppl were just talkin shit...and they know me and I dont know them. Just wanan find out who it is. If I dont like em, I wanna destroy their comp....hehe but that's another post

While your intent on causing destruction on remote machines that you believe to have attacked yours is disturbing to me, I take comfort in the fact that it won't come to this, seeing as that you just now learned the basics behind IP addresses and their association with hostnames.

Otherwise, some (hypothetical) evil admin on this board might track YOUR IP down using the web server's logs and do unto you as you would do unto others. And that would be an unwelcome consequence, I believe, would it not?

tongue.gif
smile.gif

hehe of course.....I know who this guy is, IRL, not just a guy from the net. I am pretty sure it's him but just needed to confirm it.

lots, that's why it is hard....I tried that one thing thast was mentioned above, to track the IP address back but it always fails, prob cause it's an aol ip addy.

why fuck around get yourself a good trojan program drop it on all your friends computers never will you have to worry about not knowing what friend you're talking to.

Originally posted by joe81@Dec. 31 2002, 10:19 pm

why fuck around get yourself a good trojan program drop it on all your friends computers never will you have to worry about not knowing what friend you're talking to.

hehe

Those are drastic measures...

Back