NeoGeo DC

Has anyone tried this new emu for the dc? I understand that there is a 4 meg game size limit, but that it runs acceptably. Anyone checked it out yet?

4 meg?

I've never actually played with Neo Geo emulation, but how big do games like Samurai Showdown get? Are there any semi-popular/popular games that are four meg?

League Bowling!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's a 4MB limit ZIPPED though
smile.gif

Anyways, it's slow, but IMO, playable... I was gonna post some news on the front page about it but my PC seems to be acting weird with all newspro scripts recently

Originally posted by segasonic@Aug. 16 2002, 8:21 am

League Bowling!
biggrin.gif

Love this game. probably the best arcade style bowling game out there.

Hollywood,

Yeah I meant zipped. They also need to be mame romsets. Of course, you can use redump to convert them. Dcemulation.com has some info if you go into the forums. You can find info on how to burn a game disc and there is a posted link to an sbi version. Now if only Metal Slug were a smaller zipped file.
sad.gif

Yeah, I know about the DCEmu forums... if ya look closely, you'll see who gave the file to everyone on their DSL space
wink.gif

As for Metal Slug on the DC... the closest you can now get is Metal Slug on NeoPocoott (Or however you spell it) However on the XBox, Metal Slug X is already perfectly playbale
wink.gif

Metal Slug X was ok but I though it really easy gameplay. Metal Slug 3 was a better version I thought. I have version 4 but haven't had time to play it yet.

Originally posted by falstaff@Aug. 15 2002, 7:15 pm

Metal Slug X was ok but I though it really easy gameplay. Metal Slug 3 was a better version I thought. I have version 4 but haven't had time to play it yet.

Yeah, there were too many power-ups in X.... the limit in MAME for XBox is 12mb zipped I think... and I havn't played a game that isn't full-speed yet
smile.gif

I'll be getting a second xbox soon that I plan to mod to the hilt. My first one stays in stock condition as part of my collection.

well you better get started on moddin a controller cause xbox has the worst fuckin controller i eva used

play MSR on dc then play PGR on xbox, the grpahics look better on xbox but the game plays like absolute shit

4 megs is like 5 or 6 games that'll run.

most games are around 25-35 megs, with the biggest being around 90 MB (zipped).

the xbox controller isn't all that bad, and the long way of the L/R triggers allows for very accurate control over acceleration/breaking.

it takes getting used to, but it's not all that horrible.

Originally posted by Arakon@Aug. 17 2002, 10:49 am

4 megs is like 5 or 6 games that'll run.

most games are around 25-35 megs, with the biggest being around 90 MB (zipped).

actually there are about 30 games that fall into that catagory.

Falstaff: Technically you're right, but I think Arakon's statement works quite well if you insert "worth playing" between "games" and "that'll run"...

edit: As it turns out, he's right about the Xbox controller too. I still need to play some kind of insane arcade game with it to determine its true worth, but it's really not awful for Xbox games once you get used to it.

Originally posted by Arakon@Aug. 16 2002, 11:50 am

the xbox controller isn't all that bad, and the long way of the L/R triggers allows for very accurate control over acceleration/breaking.

it takes getting used to, but it's not all that horrible.

If you've got big enough hands. Or at least not hands as small as mine. I'd like to be able to hold one of the S controllers, but I've yet to see one on a demo box in any store.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug. 17 2002, 8:49 pm

Falstaff: Technically you're right, but I think Arakon's statement works quite well if you insert "worth playing" between "games" and "that'll run"...

edit: As it turns out, he's right about the Xbox controller too. I still need to play some kind of insane arcade game with it to determine its true worth, but it's really not awful for Xbox games once you get used to it.

You are absolutely right. By the way, the full count of neogeo games that technically fall into the less than 4.5mgs catagory is 68. And most are earlier games, alot of them are japanese language only games, with several being puzzel and/or mahjong games. But most are not worth playing.

On the xbox controler issue, I have learned not to question Arakon too much on his knowledge of this console. He knows his shit!

Quadriflax: try to get hold a the controler that was released with the japanese xbox release. It is quite a bit smaller than the standard controller so might be more confortable to use.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Aug. 18 2002, 3:27 pm

also, anyone have examples of these under 5 meg games that are worth playing?

That depends on what type of game your interested in. But the fact is that while NeoGeo has been around for about 10 years, (thats 10 years using the same hardware for the cart system, the cd consoles came more recently) they really only make 5 or 6 kinds of games.

Fighters an la Burning Fight, Fatal Fury ect.

Shooters with a Darius style like Andro Dunos and side scrolers like Mutation Nation

Sports games like 2020 baseball, Football Frenzy, Super Sidekicks

Puzzel games like Puzzle Bobble

Then theres the obscure games like the frisby game Wind Jammers.

By the way, all the games mentioned above are under 4.5megs. Now, which ones work.......you'll have to try them to find out as there doesn't appear to be a compatability list out yet.

Back