Netlink and broadband...

Is there anyway that I can have a netlink make use of my cable internet connection? I'm fully aware that the Netlink will never reach the speeds of broadband, but I'd just like to know if I can use the Netlink without having to subscribe to a dial-up ISP.

Any help would be much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

I would guess, same way Dreamcast users connect their 56k modem to a PC that's itself connected to a broadband ISP. Try and find relevant threads in the DC forum... (I don't know personally how to do this)

This is one I found a while ago, setting it up can be a pain from what I hear. Never done it myself. At any rate I assume something similar could be done with the Saturn.

Isn't netlink only designed for play using phone calls direct from netlink to netlink (no internet involved)? Is there a software solution that would act as a phone line over the internet?
blink.gif

Well, there's voice-over-IP a.k.a. free long-distance calls
wink.gif
but boy, that would introduce some serious lag issues ...
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Zero 9@Mar 18, 2003 @ 10:19 PM

Isn't netlink only designed for play using phone calls direct from netlink to netlink (no internet involved)? Is there a software solution that would act as a phone line over the internet?
blink.gif

Well, yeah, for games it is modem-to-modem AFAIK. But there is a browser for the Saturn, meaning internet access. Works an awful lot like the Dreamcast. Check out this page for more info. The web browser even claims it filters and applies AA to the text so its not so ugly. You might remember Planet Web from the DC browser. In fact, you can check it out a bit more at their original site here. I wonder if there's a way to rip the updated browser as something standalone...

Anyway, you should in theory be able to do something similar to the PC - DC server setup I put a link up for.

Back