New burner not detected

I just bought a new CD burner ($10, couldn't resist) but am finding that no CD burning software can detect it as a writer except CloneCD.

Here's the situation...

Before I bought the burner (Norcent, Model RW481) I had a Plextor 8/4/32x drive and a 40x plain CDROM drive. Instead of removing the Plextor, I removed the CDROM drive and installed the Norcent CDRW. It detects fine, can read CDs fine, it's all there. Currently the Plextor is the master drive and the Norcent is a slave to it. So I have two CDRW drives installed, and so far only CloneCD can see that it's a CDRW drive (I successfully burnt an image at 16x with the new drive). Nero, CDRWIN, and EZ CD Creator 4 all can see the new drive, but only as a CDROM. I've looked on various help sites and can't seem to find anything that's worked so far. Is there something I need to do to get it to work? I don't know why CCD is the only program to see the drive as a CDRW.

Anyone have any ideas? I know people suggest not having Nero and EZ CD Creator both installed, but I've never had a problem with that before. Help is appreciated.

Logic dictates that the problem must lie with your ASPI layer, since all of your burning programs except CloneCD rely on it, and we've established that CloneCD, which has its own low-level driver, works fine.

I suggest downloading the latest ASPI version from www.adaptec.com, installing it and giving it another shot.

Maybe switching the master/slave config around might help, or move your new CDRW drive to the secondary IDE slot.

Well, I went to Adaptec's site and it says not to install the layer if I'm running EZCD 4.x or Media Player 7.0. It might be the order I've installed the drives in. I'll probably end up rearranging them, swapping drives out, etc, to see what happens. It's just a pain in the ass I'd like to avoid.

But now you've got me thinking. My setup is currently two hard drives on one IDE ribbon, and the two optical drives on the second. Is this the best setup, or should I rearrange them?

Another thought just occured to me. Is this maybe a compatibility issue? Maybe the drive just isn't recognized by the software? I think maybe I'll just end up putting it back the way it was and storing the extra drive until I need it. For $10 I can afford that
smile.gif

Frankly, I think that advice to not install/update your ASPI layer is complete baloney. Do it anyway... Heck, there are no compatibility issues between Nero, CDRWin, CloneCD, DJ, Easy CD Creator... People use all these together with no problems, usually - as have I in the past...

It's just a thing support people keep telling customers because they are too freakin' stupid/lazy to solve someone's actual issues.

That said, I never even saw any such warning on the download page for ASPI...

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 05 2002, 2:50 pm

Frankly, I think that advice to not install/update your ASPI layer is complete baloney. Do it anyway... Heck, there are no compatibility issues between Nero, CDRWin, CloneCD, DJ, Easy CD Creator... People use all these together with no problems, usually - as have I in the past...

It's just a thing support people keep telling customers because they are too freakin' stupid/lazy to solve someone's actual issues.

Drop Easy CD Creator and that should be about right.
smile.gif

You sure, man??

I once had Easy CD Creator Deluxe 4.03. I know I updated the ASPI layer at some point, and Easy CD Creator continued to work fine. All of it under Windows 98 SE.

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 05 2002, 2:50 pm

Apparently I was looking at an old version of the ASPI layer for Win95. I d/led and installed the most recent ASPI (4.71.2) and Nero, EZCD, and CDRWIN still don't see it as anything but a CDROM drive. I've never had any issues with running all these software products at once either.

Any other ideas aside from moving the drives around? I don't think it would be that since CCD doesn't have any issues seeing the drive. I've gone through all the help docs at the Nero, Roxio (EZCD), and GoldenHawk (CDRWIN) sites and have come up with nothing of use.

I'm running:

Win98 (not SE)

EZCD Creator (4.02c S10)

CDRWIN (3.8C)

Nero Burning Rom (5.5.7.8)

Remember, it's not an issue of getting them to see the drive. It's an issue of getting them to see the drive as a writer. You think updating my software would have any effect? I usually don't like to upgrade when I'm not having a problem. I suppose this is a problem though, huh?
tongue.gif

update: I installed CDRWIN 3.9B with it's own ASPI layer and it still didn't see it as a writer. I tried using both the installed ASPI layer and the default one that I just updated. Back to the drawing board...

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 06 2002, 6:37 am

You sure, man??

I once had Easy CD Creator Deluxe 4.03. I know I updated the ASPI layer at some point, and Easy CD Creator continued to work fine. All of it under Windows 98 SE.

Don't minde me... I'm just biased against Easy CD Creator.
tongue.gif

I know this may sound like a stupid question but have you tried removing the old burner to see if having two burners it the problem?

Don't minde me... I'm just biased against Easy CD Creator.

Why? A lot of people are. I can't figure out why though. It came with my Plextor drive and I find it quick and easy to use. No fuss, no muss.

I know this may sound like a stupid question but have you tried removing the old burner to see if having two burners it the problem?

Not as stupid as you think. No, I haven't. Part of the reason I want both CDRW drives in is because I don't like the CDROM drive I have (hey, it was free...). It's always closing on my hand when I'm taking out or putting in CDs. Pain in my arse. I'll try a number of things to see if I can get it going. I just thought I'd see if there was a software issue that would fix it before I went rearranging everything.

Back