new cd copy protection = lol

Just saw an article on the new copy protection that is being coded into cd's. Turns out it is easier to defeat than it is to actually rip mp3's.

All you have do is make it so that windows doesn't do an autorun on the disc when you put it into the cd drive. As you close the cd tray just hold the shift key so it won't load anything on the disc. This keeps it from loading the anti piracy software so you can proceed as usual.

Is that really the best thing they could come up with? ROFLMFAO

I read about a new one the other day... It is set up where the disc will load data in in the computer, actually containing Windows Media format files of the songs. The files can be copied to three other computers, and no copies from there.

As I'm reading this, I'm staring at the phonograph player that I have hooked up to my PC, to record MP3's, WAV's, and CD's off of my old records. All I'd have to do is switch the record player with a regular CD player and I can record all the MP3's I want reguardless of copy protection.

Wow just wow. Do they really think that within the first 24 hours of releasing one of these cd's people won't find a way to crack it?

:lol: these people just love to waste money, don't they? This still doesn't top sony's million dollar music copyright protection that was defeated with a felt tip pen though. Maybe they should just save what they got and shut up.

Or maybe I should sue them for crashing my computer....:devil

---Ammut

Originally posted by Ammut@Oct 8, 2003 @ 02:13 PM

:lol: these people just love to waste money, don't they? This still doesn't top sony's million dollar music copyright protection that was defeated with a felt tip pen though. Maybe they should just save what they got and shut up.

Or maybe I should sue them for crashing my computer....:devil

---Ammut

I MIGHT'VE heard about this. But what happened again?

Pfft...what's really stupid about Suncomm's action is that the "copy protection" really was a complete waste of time. There was nothing in that "critical review" that any computer user with half a brain (cell)couldn't figure out by themselves. You'd only have to be slightly curious about what was autorun to figure out what it did.

$10 million damage? Rubbish - the protection was worthless.

Yep. The "copy protection" doesn't even work on Mac or *nix systems. So, if you've been following along, that makes both felt tip markers and the shift key on a Windows PC illegal according to the DMCA. The last two disc "protection" schemes have been thwarted by common items. It goes without saying, but if the RIAA asshats would stop spending so much money on worthless projects they could sell cheaper CDs, which would lead to higher sales. But we all know this. It's a shame we'll never be in charge of such a huge industry. I'd be happy with a fraction of what these morons make.

Back