New forums at Tendoweb!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
The forums at Tendoweb have been changed from Invisionboard to PHP BB! Thanks go to Dibz for all the hard work!

Tendoweb

BTW, SegaXtreme will be next in line for a forum overhaul. :cheers

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 12:14 AM

The forums at Tendoweb have been changed from Invisionboard to PHP BB! Thanks go to Dibz for all the hard work!

Tendoweb

[post=135556]Quoted post[/post]​

erm just a question its all very nice you moving forums to phpbb

But phpbb is clearly the worst of the two forum softwares.

Its not as scalable due to the codebase being quite old now even with the revision updates. Phpbb won't allow allow 1000's of members online like say

Gentoo Forums and Gaia Online without heavy modifications to optimise it.

Plus it has less features. I really dislike the search on Phpbb as you can't search within threads and its requires a search index table whereas on IPB you can use full text searching and it uses a small search index that links onto the post table hence faster searches. So my point is unless you can HEAVILY modify phpbb to do what you want it to, my guess is that you'll have to use something else when you find it doesn't do what you need it to

msimplay,

phpbb is open source and FREE, hence the switch. IPB now costs $70 per year to keep it running, and the new trial versions are HIGHLY limited (maximum of 200 members, 1000 topics, etc.) Also, by using open source software, it can be modified however and as much as needed without violating any license agreements or breaking any copyright laws. It needs optimized to support more users online at once? We can do that. We can NOT do that with IPB anymore. Wanna rewrite the search function? We can do that with phpbb, but we can't do that with IPB anymore.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 10:33 PM

msimplay,

phpbb is open source and FREE, hence the switch. IPB now costs $70 per year to keep it running, and the new trial versions are HIGHLY limited (maximum of 200 members, 1000 topics, etc.) Also, by using open source software, it can be modified however and as much as needed without violating any license agreements or breaking any copyright laws. It needs optimized to support more users online at once? We can do that. We can NOT do that with IPB anymore. Wanna rewrite the search function? We can do that with phpbb, but we can't do that with IPB anymore.

[post=135609]Quoted post[/post]​

My apologies sometimes i forget money is a factor

Perhaps you could save up on the bandwith money by removing some sections, and use that for the 70$ per year.

And besides, if you are free to host tons of Sega mp3s on the site, I don't see how an unpayed copy of IvB is going to get in the way (legally talking).

And use phpbb and you will be prone to security problems all the time.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 12:14 AM

Tendoweb

[post=135556]Quoted post[/post]​

Just realised what you said man dont change the forums damn it i'll pay for it :|

Back