New Satourne REleased..

A new version of the sega saturn emulator, Satourne, has been release..

Check it out here:

http://www.satourne.consollection.com/

I've tested about 5 games.. All of which run at 16 to 10 fps.. It's slow, but it's a start..

Edit:Saw that someone already posted it.. Sorry.. There needs to be a delete option..

Athlon Xp 1800 1.55 gighertz.. It runs around 10fps with my voodoo 5 and 16 fps with my geforce 4 ti 4600.. No sound..

Maybe there´s an idea missing, just a thing the emulator programmers haven´t tried yet to get Sat emulation working. I mean, look at N64-emulation. No real breakthrough for months and then all of a sudden UltraHLE came out. Same with bleem, suddenly it all went from bloody ugly to playable and nice.

Btw, have you noticed that emulation programmers tend to settle towards "easy" to emulate machines too? I mean, where are the 3do, Jaguar, CD-i, Saturn emulators now? They all exist but none of them really work (apart from a few sat and one CD-i emu). They even took years to get AGA-support for the Amiga working correctly. Strange, isn´t it? Only those things which are in constant demand of the Rom-beggars are being emulated. My guess is that we´ll see working DC and PS2-emulators before a saturn emu has been perfected to the same level.

It's not as though there is a huge demand for those emulators. Programmers want fame and glory, just like the rest of us.

Also, there are a lot of good games for the system, but if you asked the average gamer what is Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'm sure they'd have no clue. Probably the same with Radiant Silvergun. It's tragic, but it's true.

I mean, look at N64-emulation. No real breakthrough for months and then all of a sudden UltraHLE came out.

A lot of that is probably because there was very little sharing of decent info for N64 at the time...

Same with bleem, suddenly it all went from bloody ugly to playable and nice.

It's a lot easier to make a program kick ass when you're doing it for a living (or think you are).

Btw, have you noticed that emulation programmers tend to settle towards "easy" to emulate machines too? I mean, where are the 3do

Poorly documented and little demand.

You know how people keep saying that Saturn is complex and hard to program? Jaguar's worse. Oh, and there's not much demand for it either.

Getting documentation for this requires signing an NDA with Philips, AFAIK.

Well-documented and in demand, but it's a lot of work to get everything supported and getting reasonable performance is not easy. In fact, Saturn emulators have been around for years, it's just that not a lot of attention was paid to them because they were not to the point that they could play commercial games.

The 3DO probably wont be emulated, at least not for a long time. The creator of the system has stated that he will not be releasing any info on the system as in fact plans to take it with him to the grave.

actually there IS a 3do emulator in the works, have seen it about two months ago while doing a search on google. Same with the cd-i, it already plays a few games, but since these machines are unknown to the younger generations there is, as you said, no demand towards them.

And this is what freaks me out. Originally, emulation was about creating methods to play games which otherwise would probably be long forgotten, to be able to emulate the look and feel of systems which became "extinct", be it home computers or consoles. Nowadays everyone just wants "gamez for free", l33t gamez that is. The ones everyone talks about, everyone has and blah blah blah. Oh sure, there are good games on the Jag and the CD-i and other machines but since no one truly cherishes gameplay over graphics these days...

But wouldn´t it be a much greater achievement for a coder to be the first to create a truly working emulator for a system which everyone thought impossible to emulate rather than creating the XXVIIth clone of a Gameboy emulator?

The last emulator that really surprised me was this laser thingy for the laserdisc-based arcade games. I still hope there are some surprises left among the emulation scene, but if you read some of the latest posts at vg-network.com you can easily get the impression that the scene as we knew it is dead.

I remember some person claiming to be making a 3DO emulator for DC a while back, except she would always clam up if asked any kind of technical question. At one point, I believe she asked how to "download the schematics from the 3DO BIOS".

Needless to say, nothing ever came of it
smile.gif

Originally posted by Supergrom@Aug. 12 2002, 9:37 pm

haha, yeah, but ive never had anything be "pretty and playable" on bleem anyway. VGS, yes, and i hear ePSX is pretty good, but while bleem was a valiant effort, it just never seemed that good.

Epsxe is the best psx emu IMO.. Check www.ngemu.com message boards for screenshots of it in action.. Some of them are from yours truly..

I only hope saturn emulation can reach the level of psx emulation one day.. I have tons of saturn games I need to replay..
wink.gif

Originally posted by fivefeet8@Aug. 18 2002, 6:01 am

I only hope saturn emulation can reach the level of psx emulation one day.. I have tons of saturn games I need to replay..
wink.gif

Then just buy a damned Saturn. They're not exactly expensive.
sarcasm.gif

Back