New Sega CD Intro Video!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
OMONowez has ripped for our viewing pleasure the intro to Final Fight for the Sega CD. Have at it!

Available in the movies section.

I alway use that Microsoft Video 1 (MS-CRAM) codec for recording the intros...

this has 2 reasons:

1. I'm a total n00b at video encoding

2. I find it pretty cool that in spite of the video files are getting pretty large I can compress them down to really small WinRAR files and don't have to encode them in DivX (I don't like using DivX for the Sega Intros very much) that way I can keep the image quality close, if not equal, to that of the original intro

P.S. there will be more intros comming up (I'll record the Intros of all the games I have) as soon as I'm gonna have some free time.... ;)

I did tons of experimenting with every video codec when I got my 4mb All-In-Wonder (back in 98). I'd record busy videos with lots of animation and detail as well as simpler videos with less motion and flatter regions (like cartoons), and try out every setting on all the codes.

My conclusion was that the MS video 1 sucked. Earlier indeo's also sucked.

The winner by and large was the Intel Indeo 5 codec. It had the most consistently best compression (compared to the other avi codecs available pre-divx), and when you blew it up to full screen it ran as smooth as day. Cinepack was somewhat comparable in compression (though I personally don't like the cinepack compression artifacts), but it took 20 times as long to perform the compression. Indeo was orders of magnitude faster, and included a "quick" mode. The indeo audio compression was much better too (though not comparible to mp3 or wma)

Mpeg-4 was amazing for low-bitrate video, but faltered at higher bitrates.

This is of course excluding mpeg1 & 2 because at the time those were expensive extras I didn't have.

So, anyway, if you don't want ot use divx but want the ease of a simple avi codec (whatever that means), I highly recommend indeo 5 (or whatever newer version there is).

I highly recommend against realvideo or quicktime because the only video players that support them suck major ass.

JMT.

(looks like Ligos has acquired indeo?)

Hmm, not sure about any of the Indeos, but it seems like Sega CD videos could be compressed well using a lossless codec given the small number of colors - although the dithering might interfere. That also assumes conversion rather than re-recording, obviously. Has anyone tried doing a RAW avi and then compressing it with ZIP or RAR?

thx for the piece of advice...I'll do some testing and possibly use another Codec in the future ;)

I surely agree in one point: RealVideo & Quicktime do SUCK! ^^

RealVideo sucks. I wouldn't say Quicktime sucks, since it's just a capsule format like AVI, but QT player certainly does suck.

Agreed, but I'm not sure how well it would work for stuff with heavy dithering like this. I'm also of the opinion that for encoding old game footage, scene demos, and the like, you want to stay as close to the original as possible, and I'm not sure if Xvid really upholds that standard.

Stick with Indeo 5 and it'll be just fine. At these small resolutions it's won't degrade the quality as much as DivX or Xvid. And will have comparable file sizes...not to mention encode ALOT faster.

Back