New Sega hardware?

Sega Clarifies Naka Interview

An update to our earlier story - Sega confirms that the 'new Sega console' talk with Yuji Naka was down to translation issues.

Following our earlier news from E3, which pondered over comments regarding 'new Sega hardware' made by Yuji Naka in our interview - Sega has clarified that the comments were inaccurately translated, and categorically stated there is no such hardware in development.

The story, which took extracts from the forthcoming interview, featured Naka-san's words as spoken through his Japanese interpreter. While there's no deniying the arousing nature of the comments on the surface, Sega have contacted us to clarify that these were purely inaccurate in translation. Sega states that Naka was clearly speaking hypothetically about "working hard to realise" new Sega hardware.

Thinking logically it is fairly obvious that there could be no new home entertainment hardware from Sega, for a variety of reasons - but it would still be uber-cool if there was. And before Naka's comments were clarified by Sega today, we feel we were justified in reporting exactly what was said, specifically stressing the likelihood of the translation's wider meaning being inaccurate.

Look forward to the rest of the interview in our post-E3 coverage, which has tonnes of new info on Sonic Heroes and Billy Hatcher.

Adam Doree

Editorial Director, Kikizo Games

Originally posted by CrazyTaxi@May 21, 2003 @ 07:20 PM

*sigh*...dreamcast...definately a highly underrated system..

HELL YEA
wink.gif

I would very much like a handheld Sega system, now that I think about it. I was recently reading some info, and PowerVR/Imag tech have been working on their MBX core for some time now. Meaning, you could get near the power of a Dreamcast into a handheld.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/PressReleases/S...ingSolution.asp - this has an interesting bit about hitachi using MBX lite along with a mobile hitachi processor. Sounds interesting, now what someone used more power-hungry versions for an all-out handheld gaming unit?

Another interesting link - http://www.powervr.com/Release.asp?ID=49

With handhelds apparently becoming so vastly powerful, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't all wasted on the limited screen real estate... Unless portable screens get somewhat larger but most of all are made in MUCH higher resolutions - I'm thinking, say, 640x480 pixels on a 5" screen - I'm not sure I would feel much like playing any graphically advanced game on a handheld, rather than a big whoopin' TV.
blink.gif
Plus, with the very nature of handheld gaming (which at least to me means "quick fix", not "lenghty adventure game with complex control"), I can't imagine playing much else besides arcade-style games... But that's just me, of course. My wife and I play our Gameboys while travelling: at the airport, in the car, anywhere you gotta wait on one hand, but be ready to turn it off and go on the other hand.

Would this new handheld run more than 10 minutes on 6 AA batteries?

I'm sorry, I was a GameGear owner for years, had 14 games for it, the carrying case, TV Tuner, everything. But the system had one major fucking flaw -- it was unuseable without a Car Adaptor or AC Adaptor.

Kind of takes away from the portability when you can only play for 8 mins before having to find another outlet to plug into.

We need to come up with cold fusion, then allof our portable problems will be solved!

I really do not see how sony will do this either. They could include a rechargable lithium battery inside. Perhaps one specialy designed for the PSP to use as efficiently as possible.

I think AA's are a thing of the past.

Originally posted by racketboy@May 23, 2003 @ 03:45 PM

the NGage looks like it will have a dinky screen

Yes I heard that at E3 the NGage was a gicantic dissapointment both with hardware and games.

Originally posted by Gallstaff+May 23, 2003 @ 07:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ May 23, 2003 @ 07:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@May 23, 2003 @ 03:45 PM

the NGage looks like it will have a dinky screen

Yes I heard that at E3 the NGage was a gicantic dissapointment both with hardware and games. [/b][/quote]

good for them.

i would never buy one even if it ran NiGHTs into Dreams 2
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon+May 23, 2003 @ 05:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taelon @ May 23, 2003 @ 05:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@May 23, 2003 @ 02:18 AM

Around 320 x 240 would look pretty good on a small screen.

You missed my point entirely, didn't you?
rolleyes.gif
[/b][/quote]

I didn't really see where you were going with that. If the next consoles are 20 times as powerful, their power is wasted on a mere 50" HDTV? It can't go on forever... by the time we have super massively overpowered systems, we'll probably be interfacing with the machine directly. True virtual reality. The screens for handhelds arent going to be huge, maybe a bit bigger than GBA would be nice. Its more important that they simply look good, which doesnt take much for a small screen. They can still make an affordable handheld system that would far exceed the power and visual quality of the GBA, or has no one else seen the 3D titles for GBA?

DBOY: If the SH Mobile and PVR MBX chips can operate as part of a cell phone, I don't think battery life would be a serious issue. These chips were designed to be mobile from the start, which the components of the GG were not (plus the backlit screens now are more efficient). Most of the time for my GG I used the rechargable battery pack, which did give me a good amount of play time, but yeah that thing sucked up a lot of power.

Remember folks, this is the grasping at straws thread. I'm just saying it'd rock to have a new system from Sega, and I think a new handheld from them would be cool. Don't freak. Cept Jurai, he can freak all he wants.

640x480 would be nice on a larger handheld screen. Maybe as big as a palm pilot screen or a pocket pc's, that would be better.

I really don't think that Sega will be making any new type of hardware any time soon, be it a new console or handheld. It seems that Sega needs more funding (like most of us already assume) before it enters the console market again, and it also looks like Sega is really trying hard to become the #1 3rd party game developer/publisher in the industry right now (as their mission statement says).

It would just be nice to see some really great new innovative games come out from Sega. They've done a pretty good job so far with PDO and many others that I won't name for now. I'd like to see Billy Hatcher, and maybe the new Sonic Heroes turn out well. From what's been said about them, they look interesting enough to catch gamers' attention. The new Vectorman remake could also be good for the PS2 owners out there. And speaking of PS2, what ever happened to Sega's deal to make "low cost" games under the name AGES or whatever it's called?

What I'm really wondering about still is how far Sega's support for the Xbox will go. They've had some good games on there, but are they still planning on keeping exclusives on it? Same thing with PS2. But that's generally more popular in Japan, so I can safely say Sega will stick with developing for them.

Issues, issues. Well I guess we'll just all have to wait and hold our breath until Sega does get enough cash to jump back into the console business. Until then, I hope that NiGHTS 2 does not become an NGage exclusive. :devil

Originally posted by SegaFreak@May 24, 2003 @ 12:34 AM

640x480 would be nice on a larger handheld screen. Maybe as big as a palm pilot screen or a pocket pc's, that would be better.

Yay for 2 hours of battery life!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tagrineth@May 24, 2003 @ 11:09 PM

Yay for 2 hours of battery life!
biggrin.gif

Well, we were weened on Game Gear so I'm sure no-one here would have it any other way
wink.gif

Sure thing. If it really needed the power, I'd once again opt for a powerful rechargable external battery, sorta like whats in many PDAs and the GBA SP, but with a lot more capacity for my energy-guzzling handheld. AKA Battery Pack.

Back