New SegaCD2, solution to audio problem

I found a sega genesis 2 + segaCD 2 + both power adapters + 2 controllers ( 3 and 6) at the goodwill last week for 10$!

Even though I have no real use for a second segacd, the "OMG I can't believe I saw this at the goodwill and what a price" nerd inside of me decided to buy it anyway.

Anyway, at first I think I had the same audio problem that I think I've read several other posters complain about with segacd 2s. I didn't have a segacd2 at the time so I didn't participate in the posts.

It didn't come with any A/V hookups, so I borrowed the mono A/V jack from my 32x. I used that for video, and used the RCA L+R stereo out from the segaCD unit. However, I was only getting audio out of one side, and the other side had nasty static in some games. This seemed just like a problem I've read some other people with new segacds have.

I think I figured out what it is though. I think using the mono A/V jack causes the genesis model 2 to mix the audio, or Z out one of the sides or something, and this also affects the audio that passes through to the segaCD (through the expansion port I assume, since there's no other connection).

When I removed the mono A/V connector and used an RF connector instead for the gensis, now I'm getting audio out of both the left and right sides.

The manuals (yep, it came with manuals for both, but no boxes) say that you can order a stereo A/V hookup direct from sega. I've never in my life seen one of these. I guess noone bothered to order one. Anyone ever see or have a stereo A/V connector for their genny2? All I have is the mono version, and that's only because it came with my 32x. I don't know why the heck the 32x didn't come with a stereo one, that was supposed to be high technology. As far as I knew until 1 week ago, the only way to have stereo with your sega system was to use the headphones with the genny model 1, or to use the RCA audio out on the segaCD.

JMT.

I have the stereo AV cable. God lord was it hard to find. I spent a good month going from shop to shop trying to track one down. Anyway basically the only way to get stereo sound out of a genesis/scd combo is like this. IF you have a model 1 genesis, then you hook it up to the scd with the special cable who's name I forget, but it's really just a regular cable with two headphone style jacks on either end. Then you hook up the left and right RCA jacks on the scd to whatever you are gonna use for speakers. IF you have a model 2 genesis, then you have to have the stereo AV cable since the sounds from the scd go only one way, and that's into the genesis. The stereo output jacks on the scd would only have the scds audio (ie cd music mostly) and not the genesis audio.

That's it. Those are the only ways of getting stereo out of a genesis/scd combo. As for your stereo cable detection thing, that's possible but I can't say for sure if in fact that's what's happening.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Dec 3, 2003 @ 05:53 PM

IF you have a model 2 genesis, then you have to have the stereo AV cable since the sounds from the scd go only one way, and that's into the genesis. The stereo output jacks on the scd would only have the scds audio (ie cd music mostly) and not the genesis audio.

That can't be true. As I explained in my post, I only connected the audio out of the SegaCD2 RCA L+R jacks, and I was able to hear all the sounds from genesis games through them. I didn't turn on the audio coming out of the genesis unit (the volumn was muted on the TV the RF connector was connected to. The SegaCD was connected directly to my receiver).

Audio was coming out of both the L and R. I can't make much claims to it being stereo though, since it seems there wasn't much difference between the two channels (turning on dolby emulation results in 95% of the audio coming out of the center speaker, which is where mono sounds come out of).

I don't have the manual with me now, but I think it said that either way (using stereo from segaCd or the stereo A/V genesis cable) would be able to use stereo audio.

JMT.

just so you guys now, that cable with the 2 headphone style jacks is the "mixing cable". but.....i ordered one from segaparts and they sent me the friggin cable that connects the 32x to the genny. bastards. i still dont have full stereo sound yet. anybody know where i can get the mixing cable on the cheap, ive heard radio shak sells a variant.

The "mixing cable" is nothing more than a standard male-to-male stereo headphone cable. You can pick them up at radio shack, best buy, or the electronics department of any local trash-mart for around 3$.

The only thing special about the "offical sega" one is it includes a magnet around one end of the cable, but it's not necessary. I think it just uses the magnetic flux to stabilize the flow of electrons amidst all the electro-magnetic interference.

That 32x to Genesis connector will be worth something on e-bay. People are always buying 32xs unknowingly missing those connectors.

JMT.

Back