Newbie gives up!

Ok I want to apologize to everyone before writing this. This is going to be embarrassing enough so don't tease me.

I am a Commodore vic-20 nut, but I just finished converting and arcade unit to play genesis, 32x, cd, and 7800 games.

Anyway, I want to enjoy all the Sega CD options, but I just cannot seem to grasp all the info necessary. I am looking for someone who I can talk to directly about the finer aspects of the Sega CD. I am looking for a mentor.

I want to hook up with someone who is pretty good at figuring out sega cd mods and/or back-ups. now, this is not a beg. I am willing to actually trade from my trade list for direct instruction, because I don't have the energy (I.Q.) to figure this all out by myself. I read all the FAQs and got nothing. SO I am throwing myself up for ridicule in this concession of ignorance.

I want to enjoy all the Sega imports I have recently acquired, as well as the files available over the net. But by the time I figure out the software, the trail period will have expired! If you are willing to take on a techo retard, I can figure out how to repay you for your tutoring.

Most all (excluding me and bjammzz for sure) are very tech savy and would be able to help you. Try asking excyber, mal, or soldermonkey. Oh also ask arakon but don't keep your hopes up for an answer from him that you can grasp
biggrin.gif

What in particular would you like to know?

I can answer most of the "normal" questions, but some techinal hardware stuff might need to be routed to someone else.

If you want to know about back-ups for the SCD, then there is not much to know. The SCD has no, and requires no mod chip/board to play copied games. There is no copy protection scheme whatsoever - just burn and play.

Imports are a little trickier. If you want to play an copied import, then there is a utility available (in the Miscellaneous section of this very site) that enables you to alter the region protection of some games. Region protection prevents games being played on systems outside their intended geographical region (for example, Japanese games on a US system). You can also buy cartidges to plug into your Genesis that does the same job (Action Replay by Datel is an example of one of these). These carts occasionally pop up on eBay and other classic gaming sites. Alternatively, Arakon sells a "mulit-bios" that you need to physically install into the SCD that contains all the region bioses that you then select with a switch. This is a fail safe way of playing any game from any region, but requires some soldering skills.

Another mod to try is the 50/60Htz switch which enables PAL games to be played on an NTSC television and NTSC on PAL at their proper speeds. This is something you do to your Genesis. All relevant details are in the Misc. section.

gens (megadrive/mega cd/32x emulator) can also be useful for those games that just wont patch for whatever reason

check eidolons-inn.de for further info on that

it also allows you to test an iso file when your having problems with burnt games, or boot from the cd rom

about the only thing is doesnt do quite yet is to play the games that require the 32x and the sega cd attachment, but nmo doubt thats something intended for a future revision, kega is also another very capable emulator you might want to try

as far as the hardware goes id recommend you do the 50/60 mod more than anything if youve got a pal unit, since a few ntsc games dont play nicely on the pal frequency, its still a good idea if you have an ntsc unit and some source of pal games

if theres anything you particually want to know then feel free to ask, someone here will usually know the answer

I don't think I made clear the level of my newbie-ness. Allow me to embarrass myself.

I took a sega cd to my computer system (XP with CDR) and put the disk in, copied all contents to a folder, burned it to a new blank CDR. Popped it in my sega CD and got... NOTHING!

Ok, ok. Now that you know the level of my naive ways, please take my innocence and teach me how to make copies of my sega CD (or even saturn) games. Because the FAQ seems to assume that everyone here is not an idiot. (Which I think is like discrimination against the less intelligent).

And I wont bother to beg for roms... I'll just be happy to back up my own stuff.

Bad idea, mal.

If he wants to just COPY games, Nero or even CloneCD are the best bets for straight backups.

No need to rip/compress anything. That's too confusing for the poor man, and a lot of unnecessary work.

I met a guy who just sells me Dreamcast cds but I can't find anyone who makes sega cd or saturn stuff. Is it just not worth the time? I need new stuff! Is there like some underground railroad to games?

I had a demo of nero which expired. I am not sure if I could use it again. I know begging is not allowed but I am starting to feel like all of you guys are at home playing your Radiant Silvergun back-ups and laughing at me!

Who can I find a pusher? Lemme in on the fun!

Look, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. You are not being very clear.

Are you having trouble playing original imports?

Are you having trouble with copying original games?

Are you having trouble burning game files (eg. BIN/CUE or ISO/MP3)?

Are the games you want to burn Saturn or Sega CD games?

I really don't think you are going to find anything much more specific than the burning guide that mal pointed out...at least not without providing us with a specific problem
smile.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Nov. 03 2002, 7:17 am

Bad idea, mal.

If he wants to just COPY games, Nero or even CloneCD are the best bets for straight backups.

Well, excuse me.

I always use CDRWin to copy CDs and very rarely have any problems with it. Can't see any clone CD or Nero guides around here either.
tongue.gif

No need to rip/compress anything. That's too confusing for the poor man, and a lot of unnecessary work.

If you bothered to read what I said you'd realize that you are agreeing with me there.
sarcasm.gif

I understand you. I guess I should make clear what I want in my mind. I guess what I want is not to be confused by all of this burning stuff. Does anyone just sell or trade back-ups? I have a pretty decent trade list of old school carts. I would love to get a larger collection of Sega CD or Saturn stuff.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Nov. 02 2002, 6:30 pm

I took a sega cd to my computer system (XP with CDR) and put the disk in, copied all contents to a folder, burned it to a new blank CDR. Popped it in my sega CD and got... NOTHING!

Ok, ok. Now that you know the level of my naive ways, please take my innocence and teach me how to make copies of my sega CD (or even saturn) games. Because the FAQ seems to assume that everyone here is not an idiot. (Which I think is like discrimination against the less intelligent).

And I wont bother to beg for roms...I'll just be happy to back up my own stuff.

If you didn't want to learn how to copy CDs why did you post this?
sarcasm.gif

I still want to make back-ups just in case I scratch a cd (something I worry about more and more as sega cd games become harder to find).

I just realized that copying games is not ALL that I want. There isn't enough of a scene to trade those copies with others to boost my collection. The potential of getting rare games dawned on me a little later, but I have no clue where to get the "roms" from anyway. So, I just changed my objective.

But I don't know how much of what I am thinking of is still "dangerous" is a legal sense. I have purchase some Atari multi-carts without fear of FBI investigations. (smile) But I don't know.

Sorry I was so confusing. Just retitle this thread as "Newbie wastes everyone's time."

I think that if there is anyone here who would like to trade with you, they know where you are coming from by now.

Hint: discretion is advised.

If you are after games, try the forums over here.

Back