Next Generation Consoles Are they really?

back to an earlier issue

i think the sturgeons (sp.?{yeah, like i care}) law phenominon being more pronoced in video games stems from the fact that it now costs hundred of thousands or millions of dollars to produce a game from start to finish. you're not going to see a lot of ground breaking originality when the price of failure is that high. the movie industry is really similar, before the 1950's most movies were at least watchable if not down right entertaining, nowadays you have things like (ughhh) independence day raking in millions and dozens of other horrible "summer blockbusters" being made a year compared to one, or possibly 2 or 3 "ghost world"s. which brings me to the conclusion, cheaply printed indy black and white comic books, the ratio of garbage to incredibly entertaining stuff is pretty much reversed, almost every title that fantagraphics publishes is really good. i would imagine that the meager sums of money neccesray to publish a comic book (well, comparatively meager) invite creative, artistic, interesting people to make creative, artistic, interesting porducts.

the only way out i see is for all of us to buy macintosh lc5** series (also sold under the moniker of performa) and play nothing but lamprey systems and ambrosia games.

grrr don't bring up the movie idustry i wish i had never scene spiderman they slapped it together hyped it and feed it too ppl who prolly never even knew the original story line. i mean comon he didn't grow the damned webspinners, the spider got zapped in an experiment and then got onto parker and he never killed the guy that wacked his uncle. those are only the faults in the beginning of the movie. and the cg sucked grrr. i for one want nintendo and ms to break sony's monopoly on gamers.

dunno, i think sonys entitled to their stranglehold on the game industry

the ps2 blows away all the contenders on a hardware level (except the all mighty dreamcast which will continue to be the best system on the market for years and years) and from a game perspective the ps2 actually has titles that someone would want to buy and play, what games do the xbox and gamecube have going for them?

xbox, jet set radio future

toe jam and earl 3 (inna nother couple of months)

game cube, luigi mansion

super monkey ball mini

and uh, i dunno, i guess that new zelda game

maybe a metrodi game in a few more years

Don't forget about the new releases of: Panzer Dragoon, Ninja Gaiden, MvC 2; just to name a few for X-Box.

And for GC, don't forget: Starfox, the R.E. series, a new Mario kart, Soul Calibur (I know it will be on PS2 also). And Metroid will come out.

the ps2 blows away all the contenders on a hardware level

I think that's a bit questionable.

what games do the xbox and gamecube have going for them

I'm not about to sit around and boost Xbox as anything other than a homebrew dev box, but Sega does seem to be doing a pretty decent job of supporting it. As for Gamecube (not that I can afford to play them all, but they're generating interest):

(out now)

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Pikmin

Lost Kingdoms

(coming this year)

Metroid Prime

Phantasy Star Online

Super Mario Sunshine

Wario World

all i know is the ps2 is at the bottom of the heap with dreamcast above it, then gamecube(nifty engineering involved here), then xbox(it does have the most raw power to make games look sweet). heh it was funny though i was playing smash bros. on the gcv with 3 of my buds and we had so many power ups on the screen and we were all doin special moves(poly intense) and we bogged the thing. i feel proud.

The Dreamcast ISN'T above the PS2. It has some features (like anti-asling (sp?)) that put it above the PS2, but then the PS2 has cache and processor speed to beat the DC. These two both have their pros and cons and could be considered equals

Same with the XBox and Gamecube, although you know that graphics card wars have gone too far when ATI and NvIDA break out into console wars too
wink.gif

ATi's involvement with the Gamecube is the result of them buying ArtX, the designers of the Flipper chip. This also means that the Flipper chip isn't related to the Radeon and thus isn't part of the graphics card wars. (Yes, I'm in a nit-picky mood today.)

Back