Nnnnoooo! My Sautrn Died!

I tried turning on my saturn and it wasnt working right. The cd can BARELY spin, it looks like the motor is almost struggling, and eventually it gives up and says that there is no cd in the drive. Anyone know waht could cause this and maybe how to fix it?

Edit: Ok, now its spinning SUPER fast and sometimes can and sometimes cant tell if a cd is in the drive, but it can't read the cd itself at all.

Well, I finally got it to work, but it was strange....

I tried cleaning the lens, nothing

I tried removing all carts and extra stuff attached, nothing

I tried different cds, nothing

I was going crazy and just picked it up and shook it angrely, it worked

Im as surprised as you are, maybe something in the cd lens had fallen out of place and shaking it moved it back?

It could be that one of the connectors within the Saturn is loose or needs re-seating to make a good connection.

The shake you gave it may have temporarily fixed it. ???

It may have fixed it permanently. Only time will tell.

i would think its more of wear on the track the lens moves on

where the were would cause a misalined lense and the light reflecting back not hitting the photodiode

and the shaking caused movements in the parts and now is somewhat alined (porbably hitting the photodiode on the edge)-- it may or may not work for a long while (if the saturn is in bad shape and you dont mind- id consider taking out the laser asembly and looking at the wear and see if i can do something about it - some invisible tape on the trak may work (type with the hard and slipery backing) or some metal

take a look at the early model psx most common problem-- thats what im talking about and am more sure thats what it is

or your saturn was knocked before - moved the lense a bit or the photodiode and your shaking fixed it

before i resort to shaking i tap things first

the mention of a loose conector is good too i had that problem on a psx but i would think shaking would loosen the connector more

Originally posted by Cyber Akuma@Aug. 02 2002, 6:35 am

Well, I finally got it to work, but it was strange....

I tried cleaning the lens, nothing

I tried removing all carts and extra stuff attached, nothing

I tried different cds, nothing

I was going crazy and just picked it up and shook it angrely, it worked

Im as surprised as you are, maybe something in the cd lens had fallen out of place and shaking it moved it back?

no shit! thats how my first saturn went out!!! i remember when it wouldnt read cd's right, so i kicked it, and it worked!!! but sadly, its completely dead now...

Yeah, I think it was knocked before and moved away already. Also, it couldent have been the cd cause I tried many different cds.

Did you ever do the swap trick?

I stopped trying to do cause I didn't want to hurt my precious baby
smile.gif

once i tried to modify my saturn to read cdrw, after the first couple of tries it was doing the same as yours.

if you remove the cas and look at the left-hand side of the cd-drive's board you should see some switches that look like screws. i don't remember well, but either the nearest to the pad-sockets or the one nearest to the power-cord should be turned right or left for some degrees.

i think you can adjust the speed at which the cd spins, laser power etc.

DONT FORGET: REMEMBER THE POSITIONS OF ALL SWITCHES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

it seems to me that you overused the swapping-method... isn't that so? :
wink.gif
:

yeah, i know! although the st-key only lets you play games from another region than yours, it helps a lot. it gives you much more for the procedure and i think when used with a model 2 saturn it even makes swapping much easier because of that.

Back