NO AUDIO! MODCHIP!

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Dec. 05 2002, 10:33 pm

if it doesn't solve the problem.. well, maybe some modboard pins are damaged.

That's a good point.
smile.gif

Check to see that none of the pins from the socket on the modboard are shorting. It may be that one has bent while in transit and that could be causing a problem.

It could also be a leg of the non-surface mounted IC, so you might want to check that too.

Sorry that it seems like this is a convo between me and mal... But I wanted others to give input too... More people = more possible solutions... Anyways I have looked at the Mods bottom connectors *the gold lines* and everything looks straight... I dont know what else to say or do.

No, not the gold edge connector, I'm talking about the legs of the socket that goes through the PCB. They are long enought to bend over and short to another pin.

The legs on the 18 pin IC are long enough as well.

do you think you could show me with a picture what you mean or describe where exactly to look and what to look for to change? thanks mal

See this picture. I'm not posting it here 'cos it's big.

See the 21 legs from the socket that go through the PCB in two vertical columns down the left? They are long enough that if they are bent they can short onto another part of the board. There are also 18 legs from the non-surface mounted IC running in two rows across the top of the picture. There might be a short there as well, you never know.

Hmm, have to agree with mal here. I remember I clipped the legs from my mod board's socket short in order to avoid such shortouts, plus I stupidly installed my region switch RIGHT where the mod board sits
smile.gif
(that was before I got the mod) so I ended up with very tight space and had to insert some paper between the mod board and the switch as well as to avoid even worse shorts
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by mal@Dec. 05 2002, 10:20 pm

See this picture. I'm not posting it here 'cos it's big.

See the 21 legs from the socket that go through the PCB in two vertical columns down the left? They are long enough that if they are bent they can short onto another part of the board. There are also 18 legs from the non-surface mounted IC running in two rows across the top of the picture. There might be a short there as well, you never know.

So are you saying bend all the top parts straight up?

I guess so.

You've just got to make sure that all the little legs aren't in contact with any other part of the PCB.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Dec. 06 2002, 7:58 pm

what exactly is the pcb if you could circle it on a picture or something

Ok this is bordering on hopeless. Sigh.

The pcb is what all the chips and connectors and traces are connected to. It's the flat greenish piece of silicon.

And honestly could you maybe try searching for some of this stuff on google before asking for a definition of every little thing.

ALRIGHT! Thanks guys thanks mal I GOT IT TO WORK!!! I looked at all the pins and bent them all straight up... This was the problem.. One of the pins was connected to another via a small shred of metal... I pushed the metal back onto the one pin and cleaned off the middle area... and VIOLA MUSIC !!!! YAY Thanks man... All set now I just have to pray i dont mess up soldering ??? lol thanks again buddy

and I just did my first soldering job and viola to the 5v power supply.. Tested and running fine... Job all done thanks again mal and the rest of you. :
wink.gif
:
tongue.gif
cool.gif

I've been reading over all the problems ppl are having with there mod boards... guess I got lucky with my install.... worked the 1st time.. had zero problems.. I got my mod board from Lik Sang back in April...

This is something that could have happened to anybody's mod. Those legs are quite long and bend easily. Just the fact that it worked here before I sent it shows that it's easy for them to bend just while in transit.

I had one arrive from Gamegizmo like that. ???

yay, i feel special. i got a mod that doesnt need the timing wire from a local store, paid $50 for the chip and instilaltion total, but im glad seeing how many issues arise with other chips

yea well i payed 20 and I installed myself and it was wire wire also... All i had to do was bend a few legs up and clear some wire from one pin to another by just pushing it back.

Back