Noisy Dreamcast

Just been thinking about this for a while. Everyone knows that for the most part the Dreamcast is insanely loud when the laser is moving around to read different parts of the cd. Well I have a second DC (Just as noisy) and I'd be willing to tinker with it and silence the problem finally if anyone can come up with ideas on how to do so. That way I can let ya know if it works, people would be happy, and noise pollution around the world would be cut down a notch.
biggrin.gif

I can't think of too many practical things to do - most of the noise comes from the motor and/or gears that move the laser around. I suppose you could try replacing said motor, but good luck finding one the same size/specs but quieter.

If you are after a drastic solution, maybe you could attempt to put the innards of the DC in a new case that will allow you to use sound dampening materials and a quiter extraction fan (I've always been partial to the idea of a rack-mount Dreamcast myself
smile.gif
).

Originally posted by SegaSaturnDDR@Dec. 10 2002, 1:17 am

just stuff the system in a pillow, then cut holes in it for the cables to stick out!

Don't forget a lid in the pillow to change the game
smile.gif

Anyone wanna make a ruff sketch or describe this better? I really can't get a visual of what u guys wanna do......Would prob go for it if it was feasable and sumone could do it w/o a ton of technical knowhow...

*Tilts head* Hmmmm that might be feasable. Though where would I get the rack? Kinda new to the whole modding thing but I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work then I got an extra pillow case...hehe
cool.gif

making a d.c. rack unit would actually be extremely easy except for the fact that you'd have to build a custom trayloading gd-rom drive which would be remarkably hard

btw

the power switch on my saturn broke last night so right now i have a huge on/off "rocker" switch offa 8086 dangling out of the hole where the power button is

Curtis, thats the funniest thing I have seen all day!

tongue.gif

making a d.c. rack unit would actually be extremely easy except for the fact that you'd have to build a custom trayloading gd-rom drive which would be remarkably hard

Which is why I suggested simply mounting the unit on the front panel - vertical like.

btw

the power switch on my saturn broke last night so right now i have a huge on/off "rocker" switch offa 8086 dangling out of the hole where the power button is

laugh.gif

Does it even matter that the Dreamcast is noisy?
tongue.gif
And I say, CRANK UP DA SPEEKAHZ AND HAVE A BLAST WIF DAT GAME
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 12 2002, 4:01 pm

Does it even matter that the Dreamcast is noisy?
tongue.gif
And I say, CRANK UP DA SPEEKAHZ AND HAVE A BLAST WIF DAT GAME
tongue.gif

yeA well put Taelon!

you will quiet it down massively if you just open it up, remove the gd rom unit and put a thin layer of grease onto the rail and gears

just be aware that you wont want to do this if your using it in an excessively dusty place, since the dust will stick to the grease

i did this on mine because it started squeaking whenever it got warm (quite annoying on pso since the loading was accompinied by grind-grind-squeek-squeek-squeek-grind-squeak for about 30 seconds everytime you loaded a level

You mean to say the drive mechanism isn't lubricated to begin with? I thought they always did that in the factory. I surely have never seen it any other way...

That does explain a lot though. Or perhaps they put something low grade enough to dry fast? Though it wouldn't make much sense, since I don't remember the system ever being quiet in the past. Any suggestions on exactly what type of grease would work best?

For some reason, i get great satisfaction from hearing my dreamcast at work. It's a hard working machine, working hard for my enjoyment.

Hehe, I don't know it just makes it seem more like a rugged machine, something real, and makes it seem worth the 150 dollars i paid two years ago.

Back