not an rpg

calganagain

Ban Hammered
Nintendo's Giftpia for GameCube, the game is classified as an "alternative RPG", as it does not have the concepts of battles or raising levels. In this game you play as a teenage boy, who must raise 5 million dollars himself so that he can become an adult in the forthcoming Adult Festival in the village. In the quest you must help out various characters in the village to earn money, such as a middle age woman who wants to become a teenage girl; or a girl who wants to become a famous actress. Giftpia is scheduled to release in Japan in April.

They think they can name whatever they want an rpg. Fucking excuse me but you didn't start this genre. Where the hell did you get the right to redefine it? I have been tired for a long time of companies/mags(aka the industry) categorizing games as rpg's or as a new never before seen rpg hybrid just to make a few extra bucks or fans categorizing their favorite titles as rpg's to gain some kinda fucking elite status.

As far as I can tell, an RPG = Role Playing Game, and in more narrower terms, a game in which you and your character explore in great depth over a long period of time... sounds like an RPG to me. Has anyone read the rules of an RPG at SomethingAwful.com? It's sad, but true. Thankfully this is not one of them.

Now, calganagain, the best games are the ones that redefine the genre. For instance, Doom, Half-Life, and Grand Theft Auto?

I don't think it's for a few extra dollars - I think people like myself are sick of games that are based in some strange world where you need to raise levels to 1xx, go in search of some stupid boots, have skirmishes with flying blood sucking mage bats who for whatever reason carry gold with them, etc. etc. You get my drift. If not - not everyone likes Final Fantasy. And, there will always be a Final Fantasy every couple of years. Unfortunately games like these don't come around often enough. Ever wonder why The Sims is so ridiculously popular?

Ouch! that was harsh ex! But Nintendo likes these new sort of different games. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Conker's Bad Fur Day(kinda), etc.

mabey you can look at it as you kill the beast and then sell its skin and teeth for the gold - its just that they skip that part to make things faster
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by BJammzz@Feb 22, 2003 @ 12:41 AM

Ouch! that was harsh ex! But Nintendo likes these new sort of different games. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Conker's Bad Fur Day(kinda), etc.

Both ExCyber and MTXBlau are absolutely right.

RPG = Role Playing Game

There's absolutely nothing to say it has to be in the 'classical' fantasy genre.

Back