Not to rebel but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallstaff

Established Member
I know that everyone flames newbs for this, but i just want to know WHY can't we ask in what ftp can a game be located? I know it's such a bitch to go through all of them looking for a game. It drives you crazy when there is an ftp with max user limit and you just gotta see if they got that ONE game you 'been looking for... so why can't we request?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@May 24 2002,22:06

I know that everyone flames newbs for this, but i just want to know WHY can't we ask in what ftp can a game be located? I know it's such a bitch to go through all of them looking for a game. It drives you crazy when there is an ftp with max user limit and you just gotta see if they got that ONE game you 'been looking for... so why can't we request?

It's because the iso begging and warez shit is annoying, so annoying that I think we should almost get rid of the ftp section. It was originally instated to replace the game downloads we used to have, now it's just a leechfest.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@May 23 2002,22:08

It's because the iso begging and warez shit is annoying, so annoying that I think we should almost get rid of the ftp section. It was originally instated to replace the game downloads we used to have, now it's just a leechfest.

*unF*

<3 Skank

well ok some see it that way, but i think that we shold be able to ask if there is a certian game in a certian ftp. If it sounds like beggin' and shit then what ever, but i think if the person asks polietly, they should be able to ask where a game is found in an ftp.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@May 24 2002,23:00

well ok some see it that way, but i think that we shold be able to ask if there is a certian game in a certian ftp. If it sounds like beggin' and shit then what ever, but i think if the person asks polietly, they should be able to ask where a game is found in an ftp.

Get on the ftp if you want to see if it has a game.

it's not hard to go on the FTP, but, if you are really having a hard time finding a certain game, and I mean really hard, and you can't find it, you should be allowed to ask, as long as you are polite like:

I can't seem to find XXX game, looked at several FTPs and nowhere is it to be found. Can you help me find this game?

that should be acceptable, but, our mods have the authority to lock and remove any thread asking for obvious games, like Sonic.

I don't know about you Skank, but I totaly think that the FTP section should be taken down and that trading/pirating games should not be done on SX.

When SX had a games ISO Section (remember the good old days?), it started out with just a small bunch of people. But then all the "warez" and newbies who didn't give a damn about the Saturn or Sega untill people found out you could come to SX to pirate CDs came along. They destoyed everything, flooding the boards, slowing the servers down, getting accounts locked out. Even after, when the mods on SX thought they could fix this problem VIA Password/contribution gate, it still didn't work.

I strongly feel that offering, linking, or providing any type of games can't be done. At least not the way SX Intends it to be. Its just not possible, because no matter how hard you try, you'l get more and more of these "Warez/Newbies" coming and after the FTP form, you'l get people complaining about why they can't post or request links, and soon people will be bitching to you about a "DC ISO FTP/COPY" forum and why we don't have one.

The only way to ensure that the SX community is healthy with people who do care about Sega, Saturn, and Retro gaming in general is NOT to host any games, but to SIMPLY talk and discuss about them (How to beat, which is the best, ect). This is the only way people in the SX community can discuss topics which we all love, while making it "boring and usless" to all the warez newbies who just got a Saturn to pirate free games (Generaly didn't give a damn untill free games were around).

The problem with allowing seemingly polite requests, is then you open the floodgates. All too soon the entire place would be flooded with newbies wanting to know where the "w4reZ sh17Z @re". It's bad enough as it is with people endlessly repeating questions, and that's without a million and one requests for Nights ISO's.

Keeping it request free keeps things motoring along smoothly, and mostly keeps the l337 w@r3Z kidd3zorz out - that's gotta be a good thing
smile.gif

EDIT: Seems Cecilia and I share a common view here, although I don't mind the FTP section being there.

I also agree with Skankinmoney, and Cec. I strongly feel that the FTP and all game ISO/Trading aspects of SX should be shutdown.

Having such sections only promotes the kind of people we don't want in our closely knit community. To be honest, all the people who really TRULLY care about what SX stands for don't need an FTP section or request board. Why? Because being the die hard gamers we are, we have most of these titles (Original copies, not bootlegs), and if not we all know and discuss openly where we can get originals for a good deal.

This is proven time and time again, as community members share their own experiences and knowlege. An excelent example is the "Development" section where people openly exchange their thoughs and ideas. Almost 90% of the traffic is generated to the FTP section by warez people, and newbies, while the rest of the boards are used by honest hardcore gamers. The FTP is really only usefull for warez people in the first place, so why keep it alive?

When was the last time a "Warez" person posted anywhere else on SX? They probably didn't. All they came for was the Gamez, and the FTP section. They intend to help themselves and thats it.

In fact I will BET you the second you shut the FTP area down, 90% of the so called "newbies" who said they really care about SX would leave. You didn' think they really cared did you? All the better, because then it only leaves the hardcore guys who's stood by SX thick and thin!

Hey guys,

Although Im new here, I didn't come for games, nor ISOs. I came because of the people. In other message boards, they don't give a shit about people pirating or sharing/requesting ISOs. This is the only place which ACTUALY has integrety and respect.

Where else can you go where the mods treats everyone equaly? Where else can you go see someone ask for a CD-R Copy and get a "Not here you don't cunt" almost a minute after someone tryed to request a pirate game!

No place, but SX! I can't speak for others, but if you shut the FTP area down, It won't bother me one bit since originals is the only true way to enjoy classic gaming.

I'll disagree with you there, Trenton. I think the FTP (and especially the FTPA rules) strike a good balance between pandering to the newbies and panadering to the more "respected" members. True, the FTP section does tend to attract the newbies, but without it I think SX would quickly become a relatively boring place with little or no "new blood".

I've used the FTPs on a few occasions and they really have been a help in getting some games that I would just never have a hope of finding as originals.

I see little difference between paying a second-hand dealer wads of $$$ for a used game and downloading the same game for free. Either way, the developers see none of the money.

With option #2 you're hurting the nation's fragile capitalist economy that requires everyone to spend more than they actually can to keep the country from falling apart ina depression. Every game you burn is money lost to used game shops which means they can't hire as many people which means more people are out of jobs so they don't have extra money to spend elsewhere etc etc etc etc....

Of course I really don't care about all that. If my country falls apart I'll just move to another one.

As far as the FTP forum goes, that is what originally brought me here. But then I started reading the Saturn & DC forums (posting is pretty slow in the DC forum I noticed) and a few others and it's a pretty good message board as far as people being interested in the games. And that's worth visiting from time to time regardless of whether or not the page has an FTP forum.

It's convenient and nice but I can see how it is like bait for people coming for mass warez. As for people complaining about not getting on ftp's to see if there's a game they wanted, that's why most FTP owenrs create a look/look account. If an FTP doesn't have it, try back in a day or two and maybe the traffic will be a little lower. All you can really do is hope.

But try to look at it from this perspective. FTP's are something that's a convenience to you. If you think about the number of hours you spend activly hunting for this game you wan ton FTP's, you could have worked part time at McDonald's and bought a real copy of the game if it's taken you more than 6 hours (except in the case of very rare and expensive titles, which are few).

Anyway, regardless of if the FTP forum is here or not I'll still stop by. It's gotten to be in my regular loop of forums (my two, transcorp, zsnes, here).

Perhaps shutting down the FTP section isn't such a bad idea.

So many people get the wrong impression about SX because of it.

In my relatively short time here I've seen so many people start posting simply to beg for ISO's or help with burning and then disappear.

I came here for the people too, the amount of technical knowledge here is outstanding.

And by sharing what I know, I might be of help to somebody.

Well, most of the users I have respect for (ie, i dont see trolling in the ftp forum
wink.gif
) don't want the section. I may just ask all the FTP admins to move to #segaiso on efnet and then close the FTP section down, I'll talk to Ice about this. I do agree that the FTP section is a waste of bandwith and attracts lots of losers.

Oh wait a minute. DURRRR. Hehe,t he reason I came here was the dev forum, that's where my first post was (about the Saturn C compiler
smile.gif
). Hehe, whoops, I had forgotten about that
tongue.gif

Shut it down. Move it to ef.net. I don't fault others for using the ftp section but it does cause a lot of unwanted and uneeded controversy. I've only been a member here about 5 mo and can't count the number of idiots banned during that time and the ammount of wasted bandwidth lost to argueing the legality and validity of having the ftp section. I own no game copies except those I made of cd's I own, as b/u's. (radient silvergun and metalslug are getting hard to find in stores.) I don't use the ftp section and don't need it.

Fine you move to IRC...who USES it for dl??? Also its NOT gonna stop the ftps at all and you all know this. Now "personally" I dont use the ftps. But i know how much it means to others here. Look at the DC network. SO I dont know........

It won't stop the FTP's from existing and I really see nothing wrong with them existing. I think the problem people are sayng they have is with the FTP's being a part of Sega Xtreme and not wanting the kind of people they attract and feeling that's it's not a part of what the site should be about.

At least that was my impression from the last page of posts.

Ok little story. I had offered (With some other ftpa members) to make a ftpa page for all this. I was told that I was trying to control SX and ftps and so on....I belive this "issue" was addressed by none other then skank! SO then I left it as it was....NOW look at it again. NOW someone is saying ftp should be GONE GONE.....now do you see my little issue here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back