Not to rebel but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I think...

If you remove the FTP and FTPa pages, you will definatly generate LESS traffic. For a while people, people will still come and you won't see the changes. These people who come, WILL send you messages like "Where did the FTP section go? Where are the gamez!? can you send me an ISO!?".

You can't stop this. SX has already a rep for free Warez and Sega ISO gamez. However if you keep ignoring these letters, SX will slowly change in the minds of these people from a "Warez" haven to a borning place and give up asking.

You can't get the best of two worlds. It dosn't, work because its simply human nature to "want something for nothing", and you will always get people trying to exploit this at the expence of others.

I totaly agree with all the senior members here, when I say all FTP/FTPa Pages should be removed, as well as other pages which only promote Warez and leeching (Like the "Burning CD" section, where all the damn warez people go next after they downloaded a game, bought a 10$ saturn and want to try to run a game with a Par 4-1).

These are the same people who say...

Mod Chip (Its not a damn chip. This is not PSX copy forum! )

"Can a Par 4-1 play copies!?"

"How can I make a boot disk!?"

"Can I dummy a saturn game!?"

"I can't find a rare game, so help me! Its too much money! Can someone CD-R an ISO for me!?"

"I have neo 4 mods, and 100's of CD-R Games for sale! Price goes the the highest bidder!"

I could continue, but you get the idea. Remove all "Piracy" aspects from SX, and keep on moderating and ban people when they "try" to convert it back to pirating by asking dumb ass questions. After your hard stand, people will finaly get the hint, they arn't welcome. Go home!

Another intresting fact!
smile.gif

You would think All the newbies, Warez, and one post wonders would be making crappy attempts to defend their downloading here by saying some crap like "We can't afford games, so we need to pirate" or something.

But where are they!? Of course I know! They are all still trolling the FTP area for Warez!!! Another reason why SX dosn't need FTP/FTPA/Burning pages here, because quite odviously we get along without their input.

They can't afford games because instead of getting a REAL JOB and MAKING MONEY, they're on their ass trying to get something for nothing. I have no problems with downloading a game when its convenient just ot play something new but trolling forums, hammering FTPs, and begging is a lot different.

Look at the ZSNES forums or something like that. They have a pretty near zero-tolerance policy on ROM requests and anyone posting a ROM site link gets banned, no question about it. They don't want the kind of attention those people generate and for the most part they've done pretty well with it. I'd say at tops (based on how often I visit) only one person a week makes a mess of that and their forums get way more activity than these ones.

They just lock all topics related to this kind of stuff.

you remove the ftp forums, you get 500 emails asking where they went.

after that, you get 250 emails asking if you know any places for getting isos.

then new people come, see that SX is about sega, conclude that people here have sega games, and start emailing people for isos and roms.

I have gotten a single is request in the entire time we have the ftp sections. before that, after the public servers died and before the ftp section was up, I got several rom/iso or URL requests.

you tell people to go to irc, they start flooding you with "how do I use IRC", "my downloads don't work", "how do I use the bots", "how do I hack the bots to give me more slots", yadda yadda.

face it, SX is good because of three things: the support, the discussion about sega games, and the sharing of those games so people do have something to discuss about.

if you have such a big problem with it, go away, found your own forum, make your own rules.

but stop whining.

Mysticals,

With all due respect, I don’t appreciate your comments. I don’t think SkankinMoney did ether. The reason why I think most people don’t appreciate it is because of the way you carry yourself here on SX. On several occasions, you have been caught trying to use your status as a moderator to get preferential treatment (Posting Links to Rom, or requesting games or ISOs.). If it were ANY other member, you would have been banned long time ago. Lucky, due to the grace of all the moderators here you haven’t.

In fact I think the only reason why it didn’t get so out of hand is because Aakon finaly got fed up with all this crap and said, “Not here you don’t. Everyone here is treated equally.”

Quite frankly, I don’t know how you got selected as a “Super Administrator” because you obvious don’t take the care, responsibility, or social accountability, which are delegated to all moderators here on SX.

I think Cynnamin or Cecilia should have gotten the job long before you did.

I have to admit that the FTP listings on SegaXtreme is what led me here in the first place. Unlike 75% of the other folks who came here looking for games I found a bit more. I found folks who were just as enthuiastic about "nostalgia" gaming as I was. I admit to using a couple ftp's in my search for games but I also popped up my own ftp server to give back to the community. I believe that requests should stay against the rules. Most ftps have a look account so they can see if the game they want is on the server. Most people requesting are actually hoping that someone will say "Sure I have that game. Why dont I just send it to ya right now!". So perhaps it might be a good idea to put all ftp related info on irc. That may weed ot 50% of leechers since most aren't comp literate enuff to get on irc.

Specifically for Cyn:

when you came to SX, you did 2 things:

- ask for help repairing your segacd

and

- ask for segacd game downloads.

after you had downloaded several games (some from me, actually), you followed up with burning questions, since you had trouble burning the downloaded games properly.

now tell me, did you do it to get "free l33t scd r0mz", or cause you had a serious interest in playing these games again, games that were/are pretty much lost?

I'm sure a good amount of people here download them for the latter reason. of course there are plenty of warez kids around too, and when they happen to come into the boards I check on regulary, they get removed.

I think you should have eidolon change the caption after the link for your boards that way people wont come looking to download ISO's i know that's how i found this site.(or myst can change it since i think she messes around with things on that site(don't take that as a negative statement i try not to make enemies and not upset people)

http://www.eidolons-inn.de/sega/segacd.html

i'm assuming Ice has stats that tell him where most people link from and i'm assuming they link from eidolons site a lot.

I think thats the problem Aakon. You can't seperate people so "black and white" like that. Yes, some people truly come because they are hardcore retro gamers, but 90% of the rest come for warez. You can't have it both ways, and pretty soon, SX is going to alianate most of the hardcore gamers you want to attract because all the regulars are gonna leave this place since SX no longer has the integrety it once had. Simply because it has changed into a DC ISO copy guide or a DCEmulation site which only cares about pirating and making money with hits. Again as an example, if DCemulator really ONLY cared about emulation, it would have removed all that illigal crap long time ago (Sega emu, Quake, ect).

I think the great thing about SX is the community, and the FTPs play a large part in that. Of course people abuse it, but for the most part it's a give-and-take thing between people who enjoy the games and want to share. And believ it or not, there are people who have 'real jobs' who still can't afford a copy of Radiant Silvergun or Panzer Dragoon Saga. These are games which deserve to be played, I'm sure the developers didn't make them intending for them to become the toys of the rich only. Maybe all FTP info could be password-protected or something, you get the password when you reach a number of posts and are clearly around for the love of the games and community (sorry to sound like a hippy).

Originally posted by Energizer@May 25 2002,11:59

Mysticals,

With all due respect, I don’t appreciate your comments. I don’t think SkankinMoney did ether. The reason why I think most people don’t appreciate it is because of the way you carry yourself here on SX. On several occasions, you have been caught trying to use your status as a moderator to get preferential treatment (Posting Links to Rom, or requesting games or ISOs.). If it were ANY other member, you would have been banned long time ago. Lucky, due to the grace of all the moderators here you haven’t.

In fact I think the only reason why it didn’t get so out of hand is because Aakon finaly got fed up with all this crap and said, “Not here you don’t. Everyone here is treated equally.”

Quite frankly, I don’t know how you got selected as a “Super Administrator” because you obvious don’t take the care, responsibility, or social accountability, which are delegated to all moderators here on SX.

I think Cynnamin or Cecilia should have gotten the job long before you did.

Gee, 4 posts, joined less then a month ago. Hmmmmmmm. Am I really supposed to take this post seriously? You have'nt been here long enough for me to,especially on this topic, unless your a formerly banned person who changed your sign in, how can you possibly have any idea what kind of admin Mysticals is in so little time? Or are you one of the ftp trollers mentioned so often in this forum?

Let's cut the crap gentlemen and I do use that term extremely loosely. This is quickly turning into a "hate and dump on the ladies" forum. They have both contributed greatly to this forum. Do you realize that most of you, albeit young, as in teenagers, sound like shovenistic assholes? That this sounds like a good old boys club of gamers?

See what this topic does to people? We are eating ourselves alive with our backbiting over this and the "oh yeah, well you..." shit, over this subject and yes that includes me as you can see from how I began this post. This type of crap drives away really serious gamers and collectors from participating, including myself. Right now I'm feeling like I really need to get some adult friends. That might not be a bad idea after all. I need to think this through for awhile.

Originally posted by Energizer@May 25 2002,12:14

SX is going to alianate most of the hardcore gamers you want to attract because all the regulars are gonna leave this place since SX no longer has the integrety it once had. Simply because it has changed into a DC ISO copy guide or a DCEmulation site which only cares about pirating and making money with hits.

Back up the truck, from what I've seen around here DC ISOs seem to be one thing people have a zero tolerance policy about. Almost no FTP's have them, most people on DirectConnect don't have them, and asking about them on the boards is supposed to get you a ban.

Do you realize that most of you, albeit young, as in teenagers, sound like shovenistic assholes?

while I'm not "young" anymore (24), I am an asshole.

but yes, you are pretty much right. which is why this topic will be closed in a few hours.

falstaff just take up zen LOL or something else that will help you live your life in with a balance to it. or just become mellowed out and not care about a lot of things that you shouldn't care about. remember the old question "does a tree in the forest make a sound as it falls if nobody's there to hear it". I mean if you don't place importance in something then it will not bother you. money is only paper yet since people give it a value it's more then paper.(none of that is tangible but i don't care)

What? Did you say something? You have no idea the levels of zen I've reached. But I am still an idealist at heart, in many ways.

I'll be 40 in a couple months. I would love to be 24 again, of course knowing what I know now. I lived in NYC at the time, 1987, what a great time to live there. You could pick up some incredible gaming equipt in china town at that time.

Hi !

I don´t domine english very well... so, I´ll do my best to express my point of view, but I don´t promise you nothing
smile.gif

My PC is always on because it is doing an intensive processing work for cientific research. I also have a cable internet conection, and I´m a sega fan, so I decided to open a FTP. This FTP is a bit slow, but I cannot offer anymore at this moment, however, it has a big ammount of tittles. I have no original games ( only 4 in Mega CD a 6 in Sega Saturn ), so, I got all my software searching in the web or downloading in various FTPs. Here, it´s really hard to find any sega related stuff without paying a really big ammount of money, and, in fact, I have not payed much for my consoles ( except Dreamcast ). I recently found my first Saturn in a rubbish can, and after that, I bought two more Saturn, a mega drive, a mega Cd and recently a 32X only for 300 $. All my actual original software was bought in a similar way: that is... very cheap. I cannot pay a big ammount of money buying games or consoles, because I need it to pay the PC ( wich is renoved one or twice a year ). Many years ago, I hadn´t computer, so, I bought a mega cd ( 1995 ? ), and more than 60 original games, I had a 32X too ( with 15 games ), a Megadrive... but someone robbed them. I´m still searching the robbery to kill him, and I think it´s now localiced
devil.gif

However, I was astonished playing PD Saga, I felt the terror playing Deep Fear, I enjoyed Magic Knight a lot, and I´m still amazed when I remember Radiant Silvergun... All this, wouldn´t be possible without FTPs. And, to be honest, the first week I found the Saturn I bought a mod chip, and the first time I came to Segaxtreme I was searching ISOS to play with my new console. I really love my Saturn, I really love it´s games, but a few months ago, I was only looking for ISOS desesperately. So, give a chance to new people... they can´t love a system without playing with it, and they can´t play if they has no games... I think we have to be tolerants with them to increase sega community. A certain cuantity of newbies will be the next generation of Sega users, give them a chance.

Exactly.. Who'd go out and buy a Saturn now if the only games they could ever realistically play were the (generally terrible) ones you might find in second-hand shops and the like? I prefer to think if people download an iso and they like it, they do their best to buy a copy of the game if they can. It's like music, having a cdr of an album just isn't the same as having the full package. Falstaff, whoever it as that had a go at Myst can't really be accused of bashing the ladies seeing as he nominated Cecilia and Cynammin as worthy admins. But he was pretty out of line. Anyone who loves a game as much as Myst loves Lunar is OK by me
smile.gif

Being of the oft-maligned (though deservedly so) newbie caste, and being accused of not contributing to the discussion because I'm off trolling the FTP area, I suppose I can now input my, uh.. input. Yeah.

I've been following the discussion, but I haven't said anything because, quite honestly, I didn't feel entitled to due to my newness. Since that's given off the wrong impression, I guess I get to say something now. Yay.

I'm sure you're all disappointed because I haven't said "gimme fre gamez biatchez" yet, but I'm actually somewhat divided on the issue. On one hand, the majority of new members searching for Sega games are morons, on the other hand, a bunch of gamers who missed out on Sega goodness the first time around now get to. I got my Sega CD from a cousin, who had his Genesis stolen years ago. My impressions of the gigantic black add-on were forged by the likes of Stellar Fire, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video, and somewhat of a saving grace in Rise of the Dragon.

Needless to say, I didn't hold my Sega CD in high regard.

I chanced upon this site, giggling to myself that there were weirdos out there who liked the thing. Then I discovered the like of Lunar, Popful Mail, Sonic CD and the things that made the Sega CD a really nifty machine. Now, I see my SCD and Sega in a whole new light, and I'm really happy I had the chance.

I even bought my friend's old Saturn, and a Dreamcast from another of the members on this board. I was always more of a Nintendo girl, but I'm enjoying Sega gaming just as much now. I have a friend who still makes fun of me for owning a Sega CD and Saturn and proudly admitting it. I call him mean names, but anyways...

Then Sega and Nintendo went and started working together. F-Zero, baby. It's like I'm in heaven.

The FTPA page may be inviting a bit of trouble, but maybe setting the board so that people have to register to view the FTP area would help. I'm not sure about Ikonboard, but I hear there are scripts that hides a FTP's IP unless a user posts a reply to see it. That sounds a bit too warez-ish, I know, but it may help stamp out the leechers.

I try to contribute and upload to those I've downloaded from, but most unfortunately don't. I'm trying to hunt down some original games while I'm sure many users here haven't even thought about paying for anything other than the hardware (or maybe not even that). I understand that buying originals is, of course, better than downloading a ISO, both aesthetically and morally, but seeing as how Sega hasn't given this place trouble for it, I think they sort of appreciate that there are folks out there who want to keep their "failures" alive. Plus the eBay sellers who a lot of us seem to get our Sega games from seem to be just as disliked as the leechers, so it's a bit of a vicious cycle. Which of us are going to be the first in line when NiGHTS arrives for the GBA, or Panzer Dragoon Orta comes out for the Xbox (notice how the only worthwhile Xbox games are by Sega?)? It's going to be us. I'd never have given either game a second look if it weren't for this place.

The FTP section is a double-edged sword, and this board would probably have a reduced idiot count if it were gone. I can see the ups and downs of both options, but I'll be kind of sad if it goes. I'm a converted Sega fan, and proud of it. Others may scoff and play Stupid Shooting Game X for their PS2s, but I'll be playing games like NiGHTS with my ridiculously-shaped 3D controller for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back