NTSC Dreamcast and PAL tv

Just got an NTSC dreamcast and it plays in black/white on my pal tv. I use a DC video cable with 3 rca plugs at the other end. I also tried the standard european scartlead, but then the image is almost black.

Do I need to perform the rgb mod or should I get another video cable?

The RGB lead will only work if your TV actually uses the Red, Green and Blue inputs provided by the cable - SCART cables can provide all the other types signal too (composite, s-video). The problem is wih your TV - it simply doesn't support the NTSC standard.

Correct. You're lucky you even get a picture from your Dreamcast, as that means your TV is able to sync to the 60Hz frame rate. However, the PAL and NTSC standards differ greatly in how they encode color (not brightness) information, thus the black-and-white picture. Seems to me your only way out is either a TV that actually supports NTSC signals, or a PC monitor and a VGA adapter.

Allright, thanks for the help you guys
biggrin.gif

You can easily connect yout ntsc DC with a Scart RGB Lead to your PAL TV.

RGB is absolutely multinorm - it will just work great and give a crisp colorful picture on your TV.

Remember that some US and Jap. Games are not RGB compatible, e.g. Code Veronica or Skies of Arcadia.

Maybe you tested with one of these games - my tv also gives only a black picture with these games in RGB.

Just try another RGB cable.

Back