oh men...

reading all the crap abou the new gen consoles...

i have a headache.....

i hate sony and microsoft.......the gaming world was a very nice place to play jejeje

the same games.....the same gamplay.....just graphics.....nobody talks about an amazing new way of game play or genre possible by the new tech

is just the same

on this current generation.....i think still had a lot to offer

reading all that specs and things.....i have the feeling of stay out of the new wave.....the way the things are only FPS are on the way of everything.(and i forgot to mention all that crap from square enix with beautiful sexy characters and 200 hours of FMV and...well thats all)

maybe i still have to much fun playing awsome games on the pc engine, on the sega saturn or the dreamcast, and well my genesis. oh and my nes....you now the time when you can difference a system from another (and one game from another game) and play unique games on each system that was worth buying.

for me the next gen of consoles is just a little step forward .....just graphics

by the way....now the consoles are not catologue by BITS¿??

you now xbox, ps2 and dreamcast = 128 megadrive =16 p

see??

ahhh I FORGOT TO MENTION ELECTRONIC ARTS FOR MAKING THE SAME GAMES LIKE A 1000 TIMES AND NOBODY NOTICE, THANX EA!

Ah pal, you’re not alone. Kinda makes you feel old, eh? :lol:

the same games.....the same gamplay.....just graphics.....nobody talks about an amazing new way of game play or genre possible by the new tech

In fact a co-worker and I were having a water cooler discussion about this same thing today (we always shoot the $*it, about games). He was amazed that I wasn’t interested in the Rev, 360, or PS3. My response “Why, so I can essentially play the same crap with more eye bleeding particle effects, in higher resolution!?...tch! I’ll pass” Bottom line is, even this gen…sooo many titles have been long on eye-candy and so incredibly deficient when it comes to gameplay. I think the thing that gets me the most is how developers render everything in such detail…It’s kinda like they’re saying “You’re too retarded to imagine this so we’re gonna hold your hand and render everything in 65 million-billion polys so you don’t have to worry about using your brain…Nah, we wouldn’t want you to actually think or anything. Then you might realize that this sequel is essentially the previous game you already own, with 1 new character added.”

Unfortunately for us, most people are like birds, and are drawn to shiny things. Bah! I’ll end that rant right there, as I’m beginning to feel thoroughly disgusted…

and i forgot to mention all that crap from square enix with beautiful sexy characters and 200 hours of FMV and...well thats all)

Dude, I remember how Square showed all cutscene graphics for the commercial of FF8 back in the day. Sure felt sorry for anyone who thought that’s what the realtime engine looked like. FF has been rehashing the same themes of love, death, courage, and friendship for what, 10 years now!? Gimmie Grandia anyday (uh, but not Xtreme).

playing awsome games on the pc engine, on the sega saturn or the dreamcast, and well my genesis. oh and my nes....you now the time when you can difference a system from another

Ah, all fine consoles. Well my friend, at least you can take solace in being one of the few people who actually knows what a good game is. It’s hard to do, but we gotta fight the urge to just go around randomly slapping “Hardcore gamers” telling them “Hey! Can’t you see that by & large these new games are of lesser quality than what we should be getting!?” Cause it’s an impossible task to convert everyone and I’m sure you’ll be subjected to more “360 p0wnz J00!!” than you can stomach. Unfortunately, we’re in the minority nowadays bro…

However, I totally agree with you: today's machines have got no soul.

You know, scientifically…there’s probably a direct correlation between the time gaming became popular…and when it started to suck. I wouldn’t go so far as to suggest another vg crash, but things suuuure are in a sad state when even Sega & Treasure are running out of ideas.

Gah! I guess what this boils down to is, you gotta game whichever way is fun for you. Try not to worry about the state of gaming too much...'cause that's a guaranteed headache.

If you need me, I’ll be in 32bits.

Old school Sega & old school SNK...rest in peace dudes *sigh*

- See Ya!

Games now a days are like the games for the sega cd. Too many of them are just about graphics and little about gameplay (ie like the fmv games). Every now and again you find a gem but they are few and far between.

To me 8 and 16bit games are oldschool. Prior to 98 I had more computer games than console games. Well I only had a genesis with 3 games and a nes. But it was those console games I played the most. Why? Because of better gameplay and replay.

Halo and halo 2 are examples of two of the games i find to be a gems. Souly because it brings a group of friends of mine together every week for a halo lan party. I enjoyed the single player gameplay and story of both (the first more so). Its one of the few new gen games I actually play a lot. I own a ps2, xbox and a gamecube but those are mostly collecting dust. Well the ps2 I use moreso to play ps games such as lunar and ff6. My gc is barely played, I play a bit of Windwaker and I own Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 but have never played on the gc. I have the dreamcast vers and dont really see the need to play both games over again with different controls just to get at a few extras.

Game designers have lost most interest in making great games, they are moreso interested in games that will sell well. Graphics is unfortunately driving that process right now. Final Fantasy games are an example of that. Ever since the merge of square and enix their ff games were gfx based. A friend and I in class got to talking about the dreamcast. He prefers DOA2 over all of the new ones because they new ones are about the graphics and less about the gameplay. Oh and boobies cant forget the boobies :p

Children these days cant think for themselves or use their imaginations. Which is a problem. They are being raised indoors by TV and Videogames and by everyone but their parents. I remember I used to go out into the forest on sunny days when I was little and pretend to be video game chars or in the same plot or story and act things out with friends. It may not of been origional since we were basing these on other peoples ideas but we still used our brains. Then when it was too dark or miserable to pay outside we came inside and played the game after

The forest of my childhood now is empty. I see few children playing on the street and see more children with vid games. There is even that educational system being sold. Speak to any kid in this day and age and they will tell you that they think graphics matter the most. I even find myself being picky about games these days. I mean I dont care for the gfx in xmen legends; That particular style I do not care for but I still play the game because of the gameplay. I am amazed at what they can do in video games now with regards to graphics but give me sonic 3 anyday.

PS: Sorry about this rant enough for now :p and I sound so old when I am only 21 lol

32 bits = old school?

Don't make me laugh!
Ah, forgive me. The golden oldies like the CoCo deserve their title (programs on casette tape!? There exists no such beast! :lol: )

I hear ya Amon, the last game I bought for my ps2 was Vagrant Story (something not wholesome about that...).

Maybe we are just gettin old guys, just this weekend I caught myself saying "back in my day..." *shudder*

Old school Sega & old school SNK...rest in peace dudes *sigh*

That came out really bad! What I meant was I miss what each of these companies used to bring to the table in their original forms.

Sega, a beacon of innovation...always giving you fresh ideas everyone else was too afraid to try; has become contented releasing compilation and rehash after compilation and rehash. For example, the technicality of something like Sega Touring Car instantly turns most gamers off saying "this game blows!" But if you stick with it...once you master it, it's one of the most rewarding racers you'll ever play...same deal with the VF(all of 'em) and Virtual On series(except Marz which while good on paper...just doesn't work in practice). Sega was so different from other companies, but now...

Not saying their bad or anything, far from it...but c'mon, can we honestly say their producing better games!? Yeah, their alive...but they almost seem scared to do the kind of stuff they used too, and to me...it's those radical gaming ideas that made them Sega. I'm probably gonna catch heat for saying that...

And SNK whose games had so much feeling to them, not to mention fantastic sprites and some of the best chip-generated music ever...while technically, Playmore's games are perfect, there's something missing. It's that whole teeth gritting while you play, yell "Overheat Geyser!!" at the screen feeling that you got in Kof98. It's not that Playmore is so bad...but original SNK was just so much better. Play the latest Metal Slugs and you'll see...technically every feature is there you could want, but the heart & soul of the game seems diminished.

My two favorite companies are now just shells of their former selves...It's kinda depressing.

But enough sob story!

In any case, game on dudes! ;)

"Games now a days are like the games for the sega cd. Too many of them are just about graphics and little about gameplay (ie like the fmv games)."

This isn't true... Through Segacd (and other old disc systems), those ppl wanted to explore a new thing, the FMV gameplay for home systems... Was quite inovative (it failed but...).

Note, before segacd, there wasn't much FMV's, after segacd there aren't any FMV's ;)

I'm no more excited by video games since 2nd 128Bit gen arrival (XBOX, GC, PS2)... Because they have nothing inovative compared to psx or saturn or maybe even dreamcast.

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Sun, 2005-10-09 @ 11:43 PM

"Games now a days are like the games for the sega cd. Too many of them are just about graphics and little about gameplay (ie like the fmv games)."

This isn't true... Through Segacd (and other old disc systems), those ppl wanted to explore a new thing, the FMV gameplay for home systems... Was quite inovative (it failed but...).

Note, before segacd, there wasn't much FMV's, after segacd there aren't any FMV's ;)

FMV games were inovative at the time. However a vast number of games for the sega cd were fmv games and a lot of those lacked gameplay and replay value and were more about gfx through FMV. Not all FMV games are bad and not all games now a days are bad. They are just few and far between.

Little by little i'm starting to move backwards rather than forward.. Games aren't what they used to be. I bought a PS2 thinking because the PsOne had a lot of good games, this isn't so true for the PS2.

You know what kept me excited about playing games in the early 90's? The fact that I knew that there was so much ground to be made as far as the technology behind gaming goes. These days technology has reached a bit of a pinicle. You can pretty much do anything within a game now and the only effect technology will have on gaming seems to be things like graphical presentation and connectivity. That doesn't really change the way you can create new ideas though. Where as compared to 15 years ago things like CD-ROM and 3D environments and LAN connectivity were new technologies were making new possibilties as far as creating games and how they are played. Compare those kind of things to the inovations which are coming out today eg. Eye Toy, Dance mat, touch screen. Doesn't really open many doors to new ideas does it. If there is anyone out there who wants to become rich then come up with an innovation which will result in a new approach to gaming. It would be a guaranteed success seeing as everything else coming out now are just gimicks.

I highly enjoy some of the new titles that come out (the new prince of persia's for example) but I do tend to agree... there is something about the previous games from the distant (and not so distant) past. I'll never give up tetris for anything... I'm not even that good at it... but I love it.

People complain that the new generation will not be able to provide new kinds of gameplay experiences over the current gen, but the current gen didn't provide any new gameplay experiences over the previous one (from a hardware perspective). Despite this, some innovative titles did manage to come out on the current gen of systems and the same will happen for the next gen.

Only once has there been a truly fundamental shift in the kind of games that could be made, everything else has been incremental improvements and those do occassionally allow for new kinds of games to be made, but that hasn't stopped either.

And in the end, what's wrong with striving for better graphics? Are better graphics going to somehow lead to worse gameplay?

Back