Ok, let me change the question

since you guys say some PAL games play on NTSC, the one I'm talking about is Megaman the Wily Wars(Euro version). Can I just play this or do I have to get an adaptor or switch?

Thanks

hmm.. well how about putting it in your geny and trying it. if it dont work then use an action replay or something otherwise get a switch.

thought i might use this thread to make it to 50 posts. yeah thats jack shit compared to you originals but hey i joined it july 2002 gimme a break

some guy at a import shop told me that any genesis can play mega drive games, but its just a matter of fitting the cartridge in the slot, is this true?

since you guys say some PAL games play on NTSC, the one I'm talking about is Megaman the Wily Wars(Euro version). Can I just play this or do I have to get an adaptor or switch?

That one has a region/refresh check. It can be patched if you have an Action Replay, Game Genie, or similar device, but otherwise you'd probably need switches. As far as I know, it works correctly at 60Hz if the check is removed, but it's been quite a while since I tried it.

some guy at a import shop told me that any genesis can play mega drive games, but its just a matter of fitting the cartridge in the slot, is this true?

Yes, but games can still check the version register and not run (or, in fact, can make any changes to its behavior that the programmer wants - this is how things like alternate language title screens and censorship works on some games, similar to Neo Geo) if the correct foreign/domestic and 50/60Hz bits are not correct. These bits can be changed by adding a switch to the MD/Genesis, and in most cases it is also possible to patch out the protection with a Game Genie / Action Replay style cheat device. Most first-generation Genesis/MD games don't have a lockout (they just do things like changing title screens e.g. from "Super Shinobi" to "Revenge of Shinobi"), but many of the later ones do.

so let me get this straight......

(BTW, I just ordered a used Wily Wars from Europe(no manual, dammit!); I wanted to know if I needed anything extra like an adaptor or switch beforehand)

like with some Genesis/Megadrive Emus/Roms, if you play a PAL game with the setting with USA mode, it will give you a "Doesnt work on NTSC, only PAL" screens right?(like the PAL roms of NBA Hang Time and Streets of Rage 3)

but to beat this, all I gotta do is plug the Wily Wars cart into my (US) Game Genie and boot it up to beat the PAL protection, allowing me to play it on my Genesis CDX(that's why I cant use a switch), right?

(now, that I think about it, I remember tons of SNES owners using Game Genie as a convertor to play the JAP DBZ games)

is this right, or is there more?

Sorry for being a pain. Thanks

the game genie only acts as a slot adapter, it will still give that message. you could fit a 50/60 hz switch (very easy on a model 1), boot up in 50 hz, then switch to 60 after the check.

Arakon is right, as usual. Just plugging in the GG isn't going to make the protection go away. It does, however, let you apply patches to the ROM...

Master Code: REBT-A6XL

Checksum Fix (I don't think this is really necessary, but I don't remember): VTAT-BMER

Patch to USA code: LYAT-AAHT OR AAAT-BL1T (not sure which one is correct, but one of them should work)

ok, you guys are right. At the site, www.gamefaqs.com, at the Genesis FAQS, there is one on Terriortal Lockouts, unfortunately, Wily Wars was one of the titles mention, both the JAP and EUR version. Thanks for the links for the switches, but I'm not good at modding things(I just broke my PS2 for trying to put in a Neo2.2):

ok, excyber : these codes work for the Euro version of Wily Wars and will allow me to play the game, right? Do these codes work on any other game or not? Thanks again. You guys are great!

these codes work for the Euro version of Wily Wars and will allow me to play the game, right?

As far as I know, yes. There's a possibility that the conversion to Game Genie format screwed up somehow, but these patches have been tested in another context. I'm pretty sure it was the Euro version and not Japan, and due to the way the patch works I think it would work for both.

Do these codes work on any other game or not?

They might, but don't count on it. They will definitely not work on all games, because this particular patch depends on the fact that MM:WW checks its own country code byte to determine what it needs to check for in the version register - most locked out games I've seen have the check hardcoded to a specific region. I don't know any place to get these codes online, but I do know how to find them.

i'll save u the wait ddp6678, i tried booting my PAL wily wars in ntsc mode on my hacked megadrive and its protected

i'll save u the wait ddp6678, i tried booting my PAL wily wars in ntsc mode on my hacked megadrive and its protected

It's generally considered to be a good idea to read the entire thread before replying.

Back