Old Online Games on Broadband

I have PC games which I used to play online on my old 56K modem.

No I have finally upgraded to ADSL, however I can't seem to be able to play against anyone online.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem, or is it simple not possible

When you say online do you mean on the internet or direct dial? If you mean direct dial then you are either A) SOL or B) you need to put another modem in your pc to play them. If you mean on the internet there isn't any reason why it shouldn't work. What games are you trying to play?

I know what he means. Games for win 95 would dial directly through so yeah you would need another modem.

I meant via the internet, ya know, with the IP address.

Some old games I want to use with Broadband:

F/A-18 Korea

Toca 2

NFS2

Tried them all, can't get them to work :(

Have a look at COM/IP, it's pretty cheap and there's a 30-day trial version.

EDIT: There used to be a shareware driver called Netmodem, but it seems to have been abandoned in 2001 and its website has disappeared as well. The 2.0 alpha 3 version can still be found in a couple of places, for instance here.

I might be being thick but how is that supposed to help?

The games already support connecting via IP address, and i used to do it that way before broadband.

Just I can't connect to anway else using their IP, and they cannot connect to me using my IP address.

Don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong :huh:

Oh yeah incase it makes a difference, I'm running WinXP home, 2.3 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Speed Touch USB (ADSL modem). I hope to try it out with my other 3 OS on my computer (WinMe, 2k, and ?Redhat?(possible?)) but I don't think It'll make a difference

:damn:

Oh, right. I thought they were direct-dial games. If you have a firewall, have you made sure that you're letting their traffic through? Have you visited the games' support sites and installed all patches? Have you also upgraded your OS in the meanwhile?

Hmm, if you're using a router make sure that the ports are being forwarded correctly (usually UDP). Or you could just set your computer to be the DMZ, that way all traffic will flow to it; if you do that though make sure that you're patched and have any ports that you won't want open blocked by a firewall on your PC.

Also, don't forget that the DSL modem itself may act like a router, in my case (Cisco 678) I had to telnet into the modem and tell it to forward all TCP/UDP ports onto my real router before I could get things through to my workstations.

Back