Opinions on cheap PC speakers

racketboy

Established Member
I'm looking to get some budget 2-channel PC speakers (like $10-20).

I have some nice headphones for most of my listening since I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and my PC is in the living room (where my wife usually reads or watches TV while I'm on the PC)

But I'd like for us to be able to watch some divx clips and such on occassion.

I don't need it to be too loud either.

Should a cheap pair of speakers do the trick ok? Or should I spend more.

I think my local WalMart has some cheap Creative ( :p ) speakers that I could pick up. Any experience with their speakers? Or is their a better brand for cheap speakers?

i got mylogitec z30's? (the sub and two satellite speakers) for $30 a while back from newegg i believe and officemax usually has them for that price as well. very good quality for the price.

for like 50$ creative makes a 2 satalite and (tiny)subwoofer combo that sounds pretty decent. and if you should require the option it gets pretty loud too. might as well spend the extra 30$ and get something good ya know?

you got a stereo? you could just run it into one of hte inputs on said stereo and save yourself the money on speakers... and on space for more speakers.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 3, 2003 @ 08:47 PM

you got a stereo? you could just run it into one of hte inputs on said stereo and save yourself the money on speakers... and on space for more speakers.

it's across my room -- a long cable would be needed and it wouldn't be pretty.

My wife wouldn't approve.

my file/mp3 server is hooked up to it though.

follow up:

I ended up getting Creative's cheapest speakers at Walmart for $13

They actually don't sound too bad with my TB Santa Cruz.

Only problem is they hiss/hum when you turn the volume up loud.

So I just have to make sure the Windows volume is up to the max.

It serves my purpose well.

Once I move and have different setup, I'll hook it up to my receiver.

So these are a good thing to hold me over.

Back