Oval button or round button model?

Ok, however dumb this question may sound, I'm smart-enough to recognize that I'm newbie-enough not to know the answer... yet. Be gentle! ;-)

Looking at picking up a "spare" Saturn and I'm a bit naive here... is there a compelling reason to pick up one model versus the other?

I've gotten the impression the round button model was preferred, but wanted to make sure first.

And yes, I am interested in modding it, once I know more about it and feel confident with the process! So I am interested in that as an option.

Thanks

yojimbo

EDIT: Have poked around more. From what I can see... for a moddable model... [a] round buttons GOOD. MFR date between Aug 96-Dec 96 GOOD. [c] anything else, GOOD LUCK! ;-)

Originally posted by yojimbo@Fri, 2004-11-19 @ 10:55 AM

Ok, however dumb this question may sound, I'm smart-enough to recognize that I'm newbie-enough not to know the answer... yet. Be gentle! ;-)

Looking at picking up a "spare" Saturn and I'm a bit naive here... is there a compelling reason to pick up one model versus the other?

I've gotten the impression the round button model was preferred, but wanted to make sure first.

And yes, I am interested in modding it, once I know more about it and feel confident with the process! So I am interested in that as an option.

Thanks

yojimbo

[post=124069]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I hope someone has an answer for this as well, I do not want to mod but would like to know the difference as well besides the round buttons. :agree

I think besides mod issue it's more or less cosmetic issue as function wise there isn't any difference although some says M1 is better than M2 etc... :p

I have both M1 and M2 JPN consoles and on my money white console looks better than grey one... :cool:

I believe the consensus is...

For Swap Trick = Model 1 (oval buttons)

For Modding = Model 2 (round buttons)

Anything else = Whatever you think looks better

Just curious, which models do the V-Saturn and the Hi-Saturn account for? Or are they still relative to the models with the same button shape?

i had a v-saturn with round buttons, modded it as a model 2. dont know if every v-saturn is like that though. great boot up sound on that system i must say.

I'm pretty sure that you get V-Saturns and Hi-Saturn in both Model 1 and Model 2 versions.

I would go with a model 2 myself, they are better built, also in most cases the cartridge slot is better on Model 2 i guess because its the new design. Also. Model 2 is best for chipping.

Go with Model 2.

Modchips are easy to find for this model and I think it's better to backup your Saturn games and play the burned copy (with a modded Saturn) than get scratches on your original discs. :banana

what scratch?

I have few hundreds titles and don't recall I get the disc scratched using on Saturn consoles... ???

am I missing something or doing something different???

Swapping may lead to disc scratching, but I can't think of anything else that would.

I think he is just saying you should use backups to avoid damage to cds from carelessness,clumsiness,kids,siblings,dog's etc :) rather then the saturn itself doing the damage.

Back